This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2919 / 51°17'30"N
Longitude: -0.9839 / 0°59'1"W
OS Eastings: 470950
OS Northings: 155245
OS Grid: SU709552
Mapcode National: GBR B67.XS4
Mapcode Global: VHDXK.WSQG
Entry Name: Main and Subsidiary Blocks at Tylney Hall
Listing Date: 16 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 449941
Location: Rotherwick, Hart, Hampshire, RG27
Civil Parish: Rotherwick
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Heckfield with Mattingley and Rotherwick
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 75 NW ROTHERWICK CP -
4/118 Main and subsidiary blocks
16.3.84 at Tylney Hall
Country House in landscaped park. 1879 by Edward Birchall, greatly extended by
R. Selden Wornum for Lionel Phillips, 1899-1901, and again for the same patron,
1901-1904, by Robert Weir Schultz. Red brick with Bath stone dressings and some
brick diapering. Plain tiled roofs. 2 storeys and attics. Entrance front:
E-plan with short projecting gabled porch in centre. Six flat-headed dormers in
centre with other to wings. Various tall Elizabethan-style brick stacks on or
behind ridges. Irregular fenestration of mullioned and transomed windows of
varying sizes with varying numbers of iron-framed casements. Central block with
wide single-storey canted bay to left and two-storey projecting from shallow,
gabled two and a half-storey wing in re-entrant angle to right. Central projecting
2½ storey porch with Flemish-type gable, stone-coped with decorative finial.
Triumphal arch entrance motif with coupled Doric half-columns on ground floor with
full entablature carrying coupled Ionic half-columns with full entablature on first
floor carrying stone surround to attic window with strapwork cresting, Mullioned
and transomed first-floor window over round-arched entrance withe decorative key-stone
and doubled doors. Return wing projecting to left with irregular fenestration
and two canted bays with stone inset lozenge decorated parapets. Ballroom wing
projecting to right linked by low one-storey block with central gable over doorway.
Three shallow 2-storey bays reaching up into parapet, with stone dressings and ball-
finials on parapet. Transom and mullion windows on three sides of each bay
reaching almost into parapet. North-west elevation: Ballroom block to left with
similar elevation as to court, except for red brick tower at left-hand corner with
stone cornice and ogee lead roof. Low block in centre with open stone loggia of
two bays with round arches on columns and open strapwork parapet, enclosing
spiral staircase with filligree traceried balustrade and segmental arched openings
and entrance, leading to gallery over fireplace in ballroom. End of main block to
right with two large canted two-storeys bays with embossed pilaster orders,
decrated entablatures and lozenge-decorated parapets. Two lunette gables
surmounting parapet with stone lozenge decoration and decorative finials. South-
west elevation: Five hipped dormers behind parapet and various Elizabethan-style
moulded brick chimneys. Four projecting gabled bays of 2 1/2 storeys each, one at
each end and two linked in centre, all with lunette gables except that to right of
centre, gabled with kneelers. Large stone-dressed and pilaster-flanked mullioned
and transomed windows on lefthand gabled projections. 3-bay Quattrocento-style
Ionic arcaded loggia between on ground floor. Deep canted bay with transomed and
mullioned windows on both floors on projection to right of centre. Projecting one-
storey conservatiory with pilastered stone frame and large mullioned and transomed
windows projecting between gabled projections to right. Kitchen block: Single-storey
red brick courtyard to south-east in a more utilitarian style, hidden on the
garden side by low Dutch-gabled blocks and garden wall with brick and timber
pergola against west face. Stable courtyard: Further to south-east. 2 storey
blocks, seemingly only single storey with basement on exterior show-facade to east.
Central double-Doric columned round-arched entrance with kneelered gable and clock
under stone hood above. Courtyard side of arch to match. Curving stone walls,
ramped up to entrance, with low corniced piers and ball-finials, flanking entrance.
Two large half-timbered gables flanking entrance, with two small louvres with
concave pyramidal inside each gable, plus one over entrance and one to left of
lefthand gable. All with gutters of wood treated as moulded eaves cornices.
Courtyard with first-floor gallery and wooden balustrade around, on stone Tuscan
columns. Block opposite entrance of 1 1/2 storeys with diapered brickwork.
Central Dutch-gabled projection and concave gables over single semi-dormer to left
and two to right. Linked to tower at right, dominating garden side of the
service block. Red brick with black brick diaperwork. Irregular fenestration
with recessed paired colonnade on top storey with segment-headed windows behind.
Deep stone modillioned cornice to decorative mansard roof with tall cupola.
Square buttressed stack at north-east corner and entrance through moulded stone
archway on garden side, up flight of stairs. Laundry courtyard: further court-
yard of even more utilitarian red brick to south-east with gabled and half-timbered
entrance-way. Interior: Staircase in early C17 Jacobean style with strapwork
balustrade and decorated newel-posts, the landing above carried on triple Doric
columns. Later C17-style wood panelling. Drawing room with later C17-style panelling,
carved drops and compartmentalised plaster ceiling. Music Room with Rococo-style
boiseries and coved plaster ceiling with rocaille work. Many other rooms
decorated in a variety of C17 and C18 styles. Panelled room at top of eastern
tower probably a smoking room. Sources: C.Aslett, The Last Country Houses, New
Haven and London, 1982, 33, 143, 330, iv, Fig. I. D Ottewill, Robert Weir
Schultz (1860-1951): An Arts and Crafts Architect, Journal of the Society of
Architectural Historians of Great Britain, 22, 1979, 100. Academy Architecture,
1904 (I), 46-47, 49. Architectural Review, 16, 1904, 80-85, 117, 122-25.
Building News, 9. Dec. 1904, 829.
Listing NGR: SU7179856031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings