History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former South Guard House and Attached Wall to South East, Fenham Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Wingrove, Newcastle upon Tyne

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.979 / 54°58'44"N

Longitude: -1.632 / 1°37'55"W

OS Eastings: 423652

OS Northings: 564998

OS Grid: NZ236649

Mapcode National: GBR SLL.XT

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.X31T

Entry Name: Former South Guard House and Attached Wall to South East, Fenham Barracks

Listing Date: 17 December 1971

Last Amended: 4 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472920

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Wingrove

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newcastle upon Tyne

Listing Text

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 26 NW
BARRACK ROAD
(North East side
1833/11/10053
Former S guard house and attached wall to south-east, Fenham Barracks
17.12.71

GV II

Former barrack guard house and office; restaurant, now disused. 1804-06, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General to the Ordnance Board, restaurant 1970-90. Brown sandstone ashlar guard house with ashlar gable stacks, rear brick block, with slate hipped and gabled roof. Single-depth plan with offices to the left. EXTERIOR: Single storey; windowless street front, 9-window rear office elevation. Guard house gable has a coped pediment with raised corner blocks, a central raised round-headed niche in a blind recess beneath an overhanging blind oriel on moulded stone brackets, rising to the top of the pediment, and containing 3 rifle slots beneath a blind lunette; 4 courses from the ground the quoins are replaced by wide cast-iron blocks. To the right a coped wall with flat-headed opening and rusticated pier to former barracks entrance. Brick block has flat-headed openings, boarded at time of survey (1994). INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached former barracks wall with flat coping, forms the front wall to the office, and extends approximately 400 metres to the south-east, north-east, and north-west, enclosing the south-east end of the former barracks. HISTORY: The Ordnance Board were responsible for Artillery barracks during the Napoleonic War. One of a pair of striking and unusual guard houses to Fenham Artillery Barracks, connected by a late C20 glazed archway to the gateway (not of special interest), and part of a group with the former officers' and sergeants' messes (qqv). The Barracks wall attached to Fenham Barracks East Lodge was listed on 30/03/87. (Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series: Breihan J: Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution: 1990-: 171).


Listing NGR: NZ2365264998

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 26 NW
BARRACK ROAD
(North East side
1833/11/10053
Former S guard house and attached wall to south-east, Fenham Barracks
17.12.71

GV II

Former barrack guard house and office; restaurant, now disused. 1804-06, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General to the Ordnance Board, restaurant 1970-90. Brown sandstone ashlar guard house with ashlar gable stacks, rear brick block, with slate hipped and gabled roof. Single-depth plan with offices to the left. EXTERIOR: Single storey; windowless street front, 9-window rear office elevation. Guard house gable has a coped pediment with raised corner blocks, a central raised round-headed niche in a blind recess beneath an overhanging blind oriel on moulded stone brackets, rising to the top of the pediment, and containing 3 rifle slots beneath a blind lunette; 4 courses from the ground the quoins are replaced by wide cast-iron blocks. To the right a coped wall with flat-headed opening and rusticated pier to former barracks entrance. Brick block has flat-headed openings, boarded at time of survey (1994). INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached former barracks wall with flat coping, forms the front wall to the office, and extends approximately 400 metres to the south-east, north-east, and north-west, enclosing the south-east end of the former barracks. HISTORY: The Ordnance Board were responsible for Artillery barracks during the Napoleonic War. One of a pair of striking and unusual guard houses to Fenham Artillery Barracks, connected by a late C20 glazed archway to the gateway (not of special interest), and part of a group with the former officers' and sergeants' messes (qqv). The Barracks wall attached to Fenham Barracks East Lodge was listed on 30/03/87. (Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series: Breihan J: Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution: 1990-: 171).


Listing NGR: NZ2365264998

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.