This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7804 / 53°46'49"N
Longitude: -2.6859 / 2°41'9"W
OS Eastings: 354896
OS Northings: 431786
OS Grid: SD548317
Mapcode National: GBR TCZ.FW
Mapcode Global: WH85M.Q75P
Plus Code: 9C5VQ8J7+5J
Entry Name: Former Cavalry Barracks (Building 57), Fulwood Barracks
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472869
Location: Garrison, Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison
Built-Up Area: Fulwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
1023/7/10011 Former Cavalry barracks (Building 57), Fulwood Barracks
Cavalry barrack. 1842-48, by Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with ashlar cross-axial ridge stacks and slate roof Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 28-window range. Long range of uneven 7:7:7:7-window sections divided by coped party walls with a ridge stack, each with a pair of central ridge stacks, 1-window ends slightly recessed. Outer sections have plain ashlar surrounds to doorways 4 bays from the ends with mid C20 doors; original doorways, with canted lintels inscribed from 1-12 from the S gable, to front and rear elevations replaced by windows, end flat-headed and inner segmental-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes, most replaced by matching late C20 top-hung casements. In the centre of the ground floor are 6 small inserted mid C20 windows, probably in a formerly blind wall; tethering hooks survive. 3-window end gables with matching blocked doorways, and similar rear elevation, which has 2 mid C20 entrance towers.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported to have dogleg stairs from the entrances with metal balusters.
HISTORY: one of a matching pair of barracks on either side of Cavalry Square, for either a squadron of cavalry or a demi-battalion of artillery. The central section probably contained stables, with first-floor troops rooms. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although the south-east barrack range has been lost, the original plan of two parade squares within a defensible perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete example in England of the late C18 concept of barracks.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5489631786
Other nearby listed buildings