History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Hospital (Building 56), Fulwood Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Fulwood, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7811 / 53°46'51"N

Longitude: -2.6862 / 2°41'10"W

OS Eastings: 354877

OS Northings: 431856

OS Grid: SD548318

Mapcode National: GBR TCY.04

Mapcode Global: WH85M.Q716

Plus Code: 9C5VQ8J7+CG

Entry Name: Former Hospital (Building 56), Fulwood Barracks

Listing Date: 29 March 1982

Last Amended: 4 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472870

Location: Garrison, Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison

Built-Up Area: Fulwood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North side)

1023/7/10013 Former Hospital
(Building 56), Fulwood Barracks 29.3.1982


Hospital, now medical centre. Dated 1844, by Major T Foster RE, for the Ordnance Board. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with ashlar cross-axial ridge and lateral stacks and slate hipped roof Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan in two sections each with a central rear ablution pavilion. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5:9-window range. Near symmetrical front with steps up to central entrances to each section with plain ashlar surrounds, 8-pane overlights and mid C20 doors, and late C20 6/6-pane top-hung casements. Wider right-hand section has short rear wings including a 3-window right-hand return with blocked ground-floor windows, and a short central pavilion with a narrow passage of 2 round ashlar arches with 3-pane overlights and a blocked doorway with imposts, connecting to wider rear ablution tower, all with rear lateral stacks. A similar rear pavilion to the rear of the left-hand section. Hoppers inscribed VR 1844.
INTERIOR: has entrance stair halls to dogleg stairs with column newels, stick balusters and uncut strings, and rear axial passages.
HISTORY: the right-hand section was for the infantry and that to the left for the cavalry. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. Although the south-east barrack range has been lost, the original plan of two parade squares within a defensible perimeter wall is substantially intact, making Fulwood the most complete example in England of the late C18 concept of barrack design.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).

Listing NGR: SD5487731856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.