This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3031 / 51°18'11"N
Longitude: -0.9135 / 0°54'48"W
OS Eastings: 475836
OS Northings: 156560
OS Grid: SU758565
Mapcode National: GBR C7N.9VK
Mapcode Global: VHDXM.3HXW
Plus Code: 9C3X833P+6H
Entry Name: Hartley Grange
Listing Date: 31 May 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 450542
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hart, Hampshire, RG27
Civil Parish: Hartley Wintney
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hartley Wintney with Elvetham St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
The following building shall be added:-
SU75NE HARTLEY WITNEY
1687-0/5/10015 (West side)
Hartley Grange Nos. 1,2,3,4 and
Country house, subdivided into five dwellings. Circa late C17 or early C18; remodelled and
enlarged in 1869 for William Walkinshaw, a Scottish banker; extended in 1893; subdivided
1960. Header-bond blue brick with red brick dressings, Flemish bond red brick at rear. Plain
tile hipped roofs with brick and openwork stone parapets with finials. Axial stacks with grouped
octagonal shafts. PLAN: The original house is at the right [N] end; in 1869 it was remodelled,
refaced at the front and extended by one bay on the north side and by five bays on the south
side, extending to the rear [W]. Remodelling in Jacobean style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys.
Asymmetrical 11-bay front. The original house to the right with a nearly symmetrical 2:1:2 bay
front: centre recessed with shaped gable, Venetian first floor window and porch with round
arch doorway and pierced parapet with finials; wide canted bay window to left with similar
parapet; sash windows with flat brick arches, ground floor right converted to doorway; brick
platband and moulded brick band below parapet; C18 lead rainwater drainpipes in central
recess; other rainwater heads dated 1869. l-bay addition on right with round-headed windows.
Extension set back slightly on left, 1:1:3 bays, terminating in squat 3-storey water tower on left
with pierced parapet and finials and round-headed slits on second floor; projecting bay to right
with shaped gable; canted bay on ground floor, to right of which is a carriageway inserted in
1960. At rear 3 bays of original house on left with giant pilasters and platband, the left bay has
Victorian canted bay, the centre bay a shaped gable; 1-bay addition on left and large Victorian
red brick wing projecting on right. INTERIOR not inspected.
SOURCE: Gorsky, D., The Old Village ofHartley Witney, pp 35-37.
Listing NGR: SU7583656560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings