History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mortons Works (Former Carpet Manufacturing Company)

A Grade II Listed Building in Kidderminster, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.383 / 52°22'58"N

Longitude: -2.2484 / 2°14'54"W

OS Eastings: 383189

OS Northings: 276132

OS Grid: SO831761

Mapcode National: GBR 1CS.GD1

Mapcode Global: VH91T.ZC7K

Entry Name: Mortons Works (Former Carpet Manufacturing Company)

Listing Date: 2 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472846

Location: Kidderminster, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY10

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Kidderminster

Built-Up Area: Kidderminster

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Kidderminster East

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Kidderminster

Listing Text


SO 8276
NEW ROAD .
954110004
Morton's Works (former Carpet
Manufacturing Company) II
Carpet making factory. 1869-70; by J G Bland, for James Morton and Sons; extended 1878,1897 and early C20. Red brick with blue brick string courses and stone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and corbelled brick eaves cornices. Brick axial stacks to offices. PLAN: Built around a courtyard at the north end. On the west side a large 3-storeys 20-bay office building containing Offices, design rooms, stores and packing departments. NW corner 5-storey water tower and stair tower. On the north side 2-storey 9-bay yarn and pattern stores, later C19 2-storey 8-bay yarn stores, entrance gateway and caretaker's lodge on the NE comer. On the east side two large dyehouses and range of 2-storey ,warehouses at the south end. To the south of the courtyard the 3-storey range of stores and winding and finishing rooms, to the south of ,which stand the single storey north-light weaving sheds, seven original bays, extended by four bays in 1878 and later by six further bays. The engine house at 'the north east comer of the weaving sheds and the boiler house, chimney and drying rooms at the centre of the courtyard have been demolished. Italianate and simplified Gothic. EXTERIOR: West elevation facing New Road: 19 bays of weaving shed, each bay ,with 2-light window and circular window in gable above; to left large 3-storey 20~bay office range with corbelled stringcourses and sash windows with depressed 2-centred arches; 5- storey 2-bay ,water tower on north west, comer with three tall narrow lights to the top stage and pyramidal roof with ,weather vane and bracketed eaves cornice. North elevation facing Dixon Street: Stair tower on right against water tower has staggered stair windows and arcaded parapet on corbel table; 9 bays to left with depressed 2-centred arch windows with pilasters between; 8- bays range projects to left; carriageway and 2-storey gabled lodge on left. East elevation facing Green Street: Two ranges of dyehouses with blind arcades of depressed 2-centred arches and lantern roofs with louvred ventilators; range of2-storey warehouses to left (south) with depressed 2-centred arch indo'S. INTERIOR: Stair tower contains open-well stairs with iron balustrade and Teathed mahogany handrail. Original wooden trusses in the dyehouses replaced in concrete. but floors of blue brick with cast-iron drainage channel covers. The original weaving sheds have
cast-iron beams. NOTE: In 1890 James Morton and Sons amalgamated with Richard Smith and
Sons to form the Carpet Manufacturing Company. No longer a carpet factory the buildings are let as industrial units. SOURCE: Geff A D. The Development of the Carpet Works of Kidderminster 1735-1939; dissertation, University of Birmingham (Ironbridge Institute).


Listing NGR: SO8318976132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SO 8276
NEW ROAD .
954110004
Morton's Works (former Carpet
Manufacturing Company) II
Carpet making factory. 1869-70; by J G Bland, for James Morton and Sons; extended 1878,1897 and early C20. Red brick with blue brick string courses and stone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and corbelled brick eaves cornices. Brick axial stacks to offices. PLAN: Built around a courtyard at the north end. On the west side a large 3-storeys 20-bay office building containing Offices, design rooms, stores and packing departments. NW corner 5-storey water tower and stair tower. On the north side 2-storey 9-bay yarn and pattern stores, later C19 2-storey 8-bay yarn stores, entrance gateway and caretaker's lodge on the NE comer. On the east side two large dyehouses and range of 2-storey ,warehouses at the south end. To the south of the courtyard the 3-storey range of stores and winding and finishing rooms, to the south of ,which stand the single storey north-light weaving sheds, seven original bays, extended by four bays in 1878 and later by six further bays. The engine house at 'the north east comer of the weaving sheds and the boiler house, chimney and drying rooms at the centre of the courtyard have been demolished. Italianate and simplified Gothic. EXTERIOR: West elevation facing New Road: 19 bays of weaving shed, each bay ,with 2-light window and circular window in gable above; to left large 3-storey 20~bay office range with corbelled stringcourses and sash windows with depressed 2-centred arches; 5- storey 2-bay ,water tower on north west, comer with three tall narrow lights to the top stage and pyramidal roof with ,weather vane and bracketed eaves cornice. North elevation facing Dixon Street: Stair tower on right against water tower has staggered stair windows and arcaded parapet on corbel table; 9 bays to left with depressed 2-centred arch windows with pilasters between; 8- bays range projects to left; carriageway and 2-storey gabled lodge on left. East elevation facing Green Street: Two ranges of dyehouses with blind arcades of depressed 2-centred arches and lantern roofs with louvred ventilators; range of2-storey warehouses to left (south) with depressed 2-centred arch indo'S. INTERIOR: Stair tower contains open-well stairs with iron balustrade and Teathed mahogany handrail. Original wooden trusses in the dyehouses replaced in concrete. but floors of blue brick with cast-iron drainage channel covers. The original weaving sheds have
cast-iron beams. NOTE: In 1890 James Morton and Sons amalgamated with Richard Smith and
Sons to form the Carpet Manufacturing Company. No longer a carpet factory the buildings are let as industrial units. SOURCE: Geff A D. The Development of the Carpet Works of Kidderminster 1735-1939; dissertation, University of Birmingham (Ironbridge Institute).


Listing NGR: SO8318976132

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.