History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Our Lady and the First Martyrs Catholic Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Heaton, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8127 / 53°48'45"N

Longitude: -1.8039 / 1°48'13"W

OS Eastings: 413012

OS Northings: 435174

OS Grid: SE130351

Mapcode National: GBR J6B.8T

Mapcode Global: WHC98.8F8G

Entry Name: Our Lady and the First Martyrs Catholic Church

Listing Date: 30 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468921

Location: Bradford, BD9

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Heaton

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Heaton St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Saltaire

Listing Text

BRADFORD
SE 1335
HEIGHTS LANE
(east side) Heaton
1/21/10025
Our Lady and The First Martyrs Catholic Church

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1935. Designed by J H Langtry Langton, with minor internal alterations. Reinforced concrete frame with rock-faced stone cladding and slated roofs. Norman Revival style. Octagonal plan with porch to west and vestry to east. Dentilated eaves cornice. Built on sloping site with exposed basement to north. EXTERIOR has gabled porch with large round arched central doorway with double plank doors and 5-light overlight in moulded arched surround supported by single columns with cushion capitals. Either side pairs of small round headed windows with columns between. Behind gable a round arched bellcote. The 3 sides to north and to south each have 7 small round headed windows, the central one in rusticated surround, with linked cills set in outer arcades with impost corbels to outer arches, at each corner a prominent battered buttress. East vestry has hipped roof and 3 round headed windows to each face. Octagonal lantern has 3 round headed window to each face topped with small wooden cupola. North basement has 5 round headed windows to central side, to left side 4 similar windows and a large round headed doorway and to right side a similar doorway and 3 windows. INTERIOR has banded brick walling rising to chamfered coping at impost level of window arches. At each corner a pier with banded stone and brick rustication. 3 arches to east and west with moulded stone impost blocks. Double stepped octagonal central dais. Roof has 8 exposed and curved ribs with exposed purlins and rafters to octagonal lantern. This lantern has 8 octagonal lamps with bronze and glass covers, interior of lantern has plaster entablature, moulded impost band and octagonal central rose. 6 original wooden benches survive against the walls on each of the sides. Original glazed doors with overlights to east flanking arches and central organ case. This was the first centralized church to be built in England this century.

Listing NGR: SE1301235174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

BRADFORD
SE 1335
HEIGHTS LANE
(east side) Heaton
1/21/10025
Our Lady and The First Martyrs Catholic Church

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1935. Designed by J H Langtry Langton, with minor internal alterations. Reinforced concrete frame with rock-faced stone cladding and slated roofs. Norman Revival style. Octagonal plan with porch to west and vestry to east. Dentilated eaves cornice. Built on sloping site with exposed basement to north. EXTERIOR has gabled porch with large round arched central doorway with double plank doors and 5-light overlight in moulded arched surround supported by single columns with cushion capitals. Either side pairs of small round headed windows with columns between. Behind gable a round arched bellcote. The 3 sides to north and to south each have 7 small round headed windows, the central one in rusticated surround, with linked cills set in outer arcades with impost corbels to outer arches, at each corner a prominent battered buttress. East vestry has hipped roof and 3 round headed windows to each face. Octagonal lantern has 3 round headed window to each face topped with small wooden cupola. North basement has 5 round headed windows to central side, to left side 4 similar windows and a large round headed doorway and to right side a similar doorway and 3 windows. INTERIOR has banded brick walling rising to chamfered coping at impost level of window arches. At each corner a pier with banded stone and brick rustication. 3 arches to east and west with moulded stone impost blocks. Double stepped octagonal central dais. Roof has 8 exposed and curved ribs with exposed purlins and rafters to octagonal lantern. This lantern has 8 octagonal lamps with bronze and glass covers, interior of lantern has plaster entablature, moulded impost band and octagonal central rose. 6 original wooden benches survive against the walls on each of the sides. Original glazed doors with overlights to east flanking arches and central organ case. This was the first centralized church to be built in England this century.

Listing NGR: SE1301235174

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.