This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4855 / 54°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.6167 / 0°37'0"W
OS Eastings: 489715
OS Northings: 510892
OS Grid: NZ897108
Mapcode National: GBR SJ4K.9V
Mapcode Global: WHG9Y.HJK7
Plus Code: 9C6XF9PM+58
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 20 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468889
Location: Whitby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Whitby
Built-Up Area: Whitby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Whitby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 89 10 BRUNSWICK STREET
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Alternatively known as: St John the Evangelist, BAXTERGATE.
Parish church. 1848-50, designed by J B & W Atkinson of York, altered 1904-10 by Hicks & Charlewood of Newcastle. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and finials. Chamfered plinth. Nave and chancel under single roof with side aisles and transepts. Church orientated north-south. Small octagonal spire over west transept. North entrance front has 2 pointed arched doorways in moulded arches with columns and flanking narrow arches. Above 3 blind quatrefoils. Above 5-light graduated lancet window with moulded arches and columns. Either side corners have tall angle buttresses with gables topped with square pinnacles. Set back to either side canted corner stair projections with single lancets to each face. Aisles have gables to north with mandala shaped windows. East and west side aisle fronts have 3 pairs of tall lancets with buttresses between and coped parapet above with corbel table. East transept has shouldered arched doorway with double lancet above, east chancel has a further double lancet. West transept has pointed arched doorway reached up 7 steps, with moulded arch and double columns, above 2 short lancets with moulded arches and columns, above again a circular window flanked by tall angle buttresses and square piers topped with pinnacles, set back behind gable an octagonal ashlar bell turret with short spire. A pair of tall lancets beyond to chancel. South wall blank with inserted mandala shaped window. INTERIOR has 5 and a half bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Former side galleries transferred to north end c1904. Original wooden pews. Wooden king post roof Wooden pulpit, altar, alter rail and ashlar reredos with mosaic image of the Last Supper, insert c1904 with blind arcading behind. Above elaborate fresco with gilding and mandala shaped window with stained glass.
Listing NGR: NZ8971510892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings