History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Andrews Roman Catholic Church and Attached Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9732 / 54°58'23"N

Longitude: -1.6094 / 1°36'33"W

OS Eastings: 425103

OS Northings: 564352

OS Grid: NZ251643

Mapcode National: GBR SPV.SG

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.78WB

Entry Name: St Andrews Roman Catholic Church and Attached Presbytery

Listing Date: 28 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472804

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text


NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 2564 SW
WORSWICK STREET
(Northwest side)
1833/21/10078
St Andrew's Roman Catholic
Church and attached
Presbytery

GV II

Parish church built c.1880 and attached presbytery built 1865 to designs Edward Welby Pugin. Stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Presbytery has rock-faced plinth with chamfered ashlar band. Hipped roof with 2 moulded ashlar ridge stacks and bracketed eaves. 2 storey. Street front has 3 windows with central tall staircase window in pointed arched surround with hood mould and y-tracery. Either side single triple plain sashes each with a moulded segment arched head. Above moulded band with carved stops, and above single similar triple windows on either side. To left a passage doorway with chamfered pointed arched surround. Right return has similar single and 2-light windows. Set back entrance facade has doorway to left reached up 6 steps with plank door with ornate iron hinges and overlight, to right two 2-lightcross casement windows with leaded lattice glazing and stained glass panels. Above three similar 2-light cross casements. INTERIOR retains original wooden staircase with 2 turned balusters per tread and moulded handrail, original marble fireplaces on ground floor, original doors, shutters, plaster coving and skirting boards. Church has rock-faced stone work with ashlar dressings, moulded eaves band and ashlar coped gables with kneelers. Continuous moulded cill band. Chamfered plinth. Nave with north aisle and octagonal ended chancel. West front has glazed iron canopy over entrance. Central pointed arched doorway in deeply moulded surround with hood mould. Above large rose window with 6 outer quatrefoils. In gable apex 3 graduated lancets. South, street front has 6 tall 3-light pointed arched windows with different tracery to each window and between single tall buttresses. Octagonal ended chancel has single 2-1ight pointed arch windows with different tracery to each face with tall buttresses between. Small gabled vestry to north has single pointed arched window with 3 graduated lancets. INTERIOR has 5 bay north nave arcade with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Elaborate wooden roof. West galley with organ supported on 2 tall iron columns and an inserted glazed screen. Contemporary wooden pews and octagonal pulpit. These two contrasting buildings form an integral unit, though the presbytery , by the important Victorian architect Edward Welby Pugin, is of a higher architectural quality than the later, but also impressive, parish church.


Listing NGR: NZ2510364352

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.