History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Ham Underground Station

A Grade II Listed Building in East Ham Central, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5393 / 51°32'21"N

Longitude: 0.0524 / 0°3'8"E

OS Eastings: 542430

OS Northings: 184264

OS Grid: TQ424842

Mapcode National: GBR ML.RW1

Mapcode Global: VHHNB.VKJT

Entry Name: East Ham Underground Station

Listing Date: 20 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472750

Location: Newham, London, E6

County: London

District: Newham

Electoral Ward/Division: East Ham Central

Built-Up Area: Newham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Manor Park St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
East Ham

Listing Text

TQ 48 SW HIGH STREET NORTH
EAST HAM
East Ham Underground
Station
251/4/10033
II
Railway station. Built 1858 for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway and given a new main
building in 1902 when it became a part of the District line. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings and a Welsh slate roof. Single storey range built parallel to the street on the railway bridge. The front is articulated by eight rusticated red brick pilasters which carry a continuous cornice. Seven bay front with doors in the second, fourth and sixth bays. From the left, Bay 1 has a paired window with 6 over 2 sashes in keyed elliptical heads. Bay 2 has a double door with 6 + 6 light over an elliptical keyed head with pediment at parapet level above. Bay 3 has a single window as before on either side of a slightly projecting stack. The central Bay 4 has a door as before but the surround rises to an oeil-de boeuf at parapet level with a small Flemish gable with projecting London Transport logo above. Bay 5 as Bay 3; Bay 6 as Bay 2 and Bay 7 as Bay 1. The parapet carries two stacks with weathered caps rising out of Bays 3 and 5. The front roof slope has two plain lights. Interior. Brown and white glazed brick interior with a ten bay open roof with timber queen post trusses. Platforms. These date from 1858 and are the remaining part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway station. One platform (down) has a range of buildings in yellow stock brick with doors and windows with elliptical red brick heads. Cast iron columns carry LTSR brackets and timber or steel beams. The canopy becomes an island one with fretted valances. The up platform is wholly an island but is otherwise similar and does carry a small brick building. These are very complete examples of LTSR canopies. There is also a covered footbridge of rivetted plate girders and steps with cast iron handrails. History .The station was opened 31 March 1858 by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The entrance building on the bridge was built in 1902(previously there was probably a level crossing) when this station became a part of the London underground system when it was taken over by the District line.

Listing NGR: TQ4243084264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TQ 48 SW HIGH STREET NORTH
EAST HAM
East Ham Underground
Station
251/4/10033
II
Railway station. Built 1858 for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway and given a new main
building in 1902 when it became a part of the District line. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings and a Welsh slate roof. Single storey range built parallel to the street on the railway bridge. The front is articulated by eight rusticated red brick pilasters which carry a continuous cornice. Seven bay front with doors in the second, fourth and sixth bays. From the left, Bay 1 has a paired window with 6 over 2 sashes in keyed elliptical heads. Bay 2 has a double door with 6 + 6 light over an elliptical keyed head with pediment at parapet level above. Bay 3 has a single window as before on either side of a slightly projecting stack. The central Bay 4 has a door as before but the surround rises to an oeil-de boeuf at parapet level with a small Flemish gable with projecting London Transport logo above. Bay 5 as Bay 3; Bay 6 as Bay 2 and Bay 7 as Bay 1. The parapet carries two stacks with weathered caps rising out of Bays 3 and 5. The front roof slope has two plain lights. Interior. Brown and white glazed brick interior with a ten bay open roof with timber queen post trusses. Platforms. These date from 1858 and are the remaining part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway station. One platform (down) has a range of buildings in yellow stock brick with doors and windows with elliptical red brick heads. Cast iron columns carry LTSR brackets and timber or steel beams. The canopy becomes an island one with fretted valances. The up platform is wholly an island but is otherwise similar and does carry a small brick building. These are very complete examples of LTSR canopies. There is also a covered footbridge of rivetted plate girders and steps with cast iron handrails. History .The station was opened 31 March 1858 by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The entrance building on the bridge was built in 1902(previously there was probably a level crossing) when this station became a part of the London underground system when it was taken over by the District line.

Listing NGR: TQ4243084264

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.