This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8941 / 51°53'38"N
Longitude: -2.0836 / 2°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 394342
OS Northings: 221732
OS Grid: SO943217
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.815
Mapcode Global: VH947.TNVB
Plus Code: 9C3VVWV8+JH
Entry Name: Imperial House
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474937
Location: Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NW LYPIATT ROAD
630-1/17/504 (East side)
12/03/55 Imperial House
Villa, now offices. c1826-32; with later additions and
alterations including c1960s range at rear of no special
architectural interest. Architect: Edward Jenkins. Ashlar over
brick with concealed roof. Double depth plan with central hall
and service range to rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows with
single-storey, 5-window range to left. Main range: end
full-height Doric pilasters with crowning architrave, frieze
and cornice with blocking course; central breakforward and
ground-floor tetrastyle Ionic porch with frieze, architrave
and pediment; steps to 6-panel double doors with overlight.
Outer tripartite windows with 1/1 sashes, those to ground
floor breakforward and have outer pilasters, architrave frieze
and cornice, those to first floor have cornices on consoles.
Central first-floor 1/1 sash in tooled architrave with cornice
on consoles. Range to left has tall 1/1 sashes with cornices
on consoles; pilasters and crowning architrave, frieze and
cornice with blocking course.
INTERIOR: retain a wealth of original features including
open-well staircase with good iron balustrade with double
scroll motif and wreathed handrail. Hall has acanthus
modillions and egg-and-dart frieze. Drawing room to right has
architrave for dividing doors, embellished cornices with
acanthus motifs and ceiling frieze with grape motif, ceiling
roses. Marble fireplaces. To left room a ceiling frieze with
scroll motifs and white marble fireplace. First floor reputed
to similarly retain original features.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Burlington House (qv), Carrick House (qv),
Compass House (qv), Imperial House, and Stanmer House (qv)
form a distinguished group of villas along the east side of
Lypiatt Road (marked on Merrett's Map of 1834 as Suffolk
Lawn), all designed by Jenkins as part of the estate laid out
for James Fisher and including Suffolk Square. Designs reputed
to be in the Gloucester Record Office.
Imperial House abuts Montpellier House, Suffolk Place (qv) to
(Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-; Blake S).
Listing NGR: SO9433821730
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings