History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Anchor Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Brightlingsea, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8056 / 51°48'20"N

Longitude: 1.0244 / 1°1'27"E

OS Eastings: 608606

OS Northings: 216207

OS Grid: TM086162

Mapcode National: GBR TQM.MV6

Mapcode Global: VHKGF.PWY7

Entry Name: The Anchor Hotel

Listing Date: 25 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468748

Location: Brightlingsea, Tendring, Essex, CO7

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Brightlingsea

Built-Up Area: Brightlingsea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Brightlingsea All Saints with St James

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brightlingsea

Listing Text

TM 0816 BRIGHTLINGSEA COPPERAS ROAD
(South East side)

1251/8/10002 The Anchor Hotel

II

Public house and hotel. Designed in 1901 by George Henry Page of Colchester and erected on the site of earlier Anchor public houses dating back to the 1630s. Ground floor of Kentish ragstone rubble with upper floors faced in cement with eclectic timber-framing. C20 pantiled roof replaces Brosely tiles and octagonal wooden cupola (formerly leaded) with iron weathervane. An unusual mixture of Jacobean and Bavarian styles, square on plan of 2 storeys and attics with 2 windows to each main front. South and east fronts have 2 projecting gables with deep coving and elaborate oak framing and terracotta dragon finials. First floor has 2 elliptical curved windows, with elaborate Bavarian style fretted balcony but south front has one oriel and one two storey. French windows to balcony . Ground floor has one curved 3-light window and one 5-light window. Ground floor windows have etched glass. Others have stained glass to the tops. Elaborate Jacobean style pilasters to first floor. Ground floor has three stone round-headed entrances with keystone and reeded pilasters, double door and stained glass.
INTERIOR: well staircase with fretted balusters and Minton floor tiles, wooden bar fittings and black marble fireplaces.

Listing NGR: TM0860616207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TM 0816 BRIGHTLINGSEA COPPERAS ROAD
(South East side)

1251/8/10002 The Anchor Hotel

II

Public house and hotel. Designed in 1901 by George Henry Page of Colchester and erected on the site of earlier Anchor public houses dating back to the 1630s. Ground floor of Kentish ragstone rubble with upper floors faced in cement with eclectic timber-framing. C20 pantiled roof replaces Brosely tiles and octagonal wooden cupola (formerly leaded) with iron weathervane. An unusual mixture of Jacobean and Bavarian styles, square on plan of 2 storeys and attics with 2 windows to each main front. South and east fronts have 2 projecting gables with deep coving and elaborate oak framing and terracotta dragon finials. First floor has 2 elliptical curved windows, with elaborate Bavarian style fretted balcony but south front has one oriel and one two storey. French windows to balcony . Ground floor has one curved 3-light window and one 5-light window. Ground floor windows have etched glass. Others have stained glass to the tops. Elaborate Jacobean style pilasters to first floor. Ground floor has three stone round-headed entrances with keystone and reeded pilasters, double door and stained glass.
INTERIOR: well staircase with fretted balusters and Minton floor tiles, wooden bar fittings and black marble fireplaces.

Listing NGR: TM0860616207

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.