History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Woking, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3371 / 51°20'13"N

Longitude: -0.4969 / 0°29'48"W

OS Eastings: 504805

OS Northings: 160848

OS Grid: TQ048608

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.KF1

Mapcode Global: VHFV3.BNPC

Plus Code: 9C3X8GP3+R7

Entry Name: Broadoaks

Listing Date: 2 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468757

Location: Byfleet and West Byfleet, Woking, Surrey, KT14

County: Surrey

Electoral Ward/Division: Byfleet and West Byfleet

Built-Up Area: Woking

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: West Byfleet

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in


TQ 06 SW

PARVIS ROAD, West Byfleet


Detached country house, recently in use as offices. 1876 by Ernest Seth-Smith for his elder brother Charles, incorporating part of an older house on the ground floor; early C20 additions for Sir Charles Tennant including, c1905 the south projecting Drawing Room, c1908 the east projecting Ballroom. 1970s office extension not of special interest. Red brick. Tiled roofs with crowstepped gables, eaves bands of diagonally set bricks, dormers and tall brick chimney stacks having enriched brick cornices and bands. 2 storeys, attics and cellar. Long entrance front with irregular fenestration. Entrance in timber-framed, pitched roof porch with bargeboards, small-pane glazing and wrought iron patterned gates. To the right a 3-light oriel window on stepped brick corbels. Then a gable end with full-height chimney breast and stack and further bays of 2 and 3-light windows under pointed strainer arches. Garden front in similar style with projecting bay windows to the drawing room and ballroom. Interior: small vestibule with carved stone C18 style fireplace. Stair with rectangular plan newel posts, carved with shell and fruit drops, twisted balusters and enriched closed string. The French C18 style Drawing Room is richly and delicately gilded on all the oak surfaces; panelled dado, chimneypiece with round-arched mirror, cornice and door and window frames. Marble fireplace with gilt acanthus leaves and other enrichment. Two sets of double-leaf doors are also gilded, including the initial "M" for Marguerite and have overdoor panels depicting putti painted in grisaille; above this armorial devices flanked by putti. This work was carried out by Italian journeymen. The Ballroom has an elliptically vaulted ceiling with enriched ribs and pendants, panelling to full height and a full-height stone chimneypiece armorial devices. Other rooms have fireplaces, panelling, built-in display cupboards and enriched cornices. History: in 1898 the house was sold to Sir Charles Tennant, wealthy industrialist and patron of the arts who, aged 75, had just married his 2nd wife Marguerite who was to bear him 4 children. The main Tennant property was in Scotland but this house appears to be an out of London house for entertaining, Surrey becoming very popular at the time. The brewery owning Charrington family owned Broadoaks from 1911 to 1946 when it was sold to the Ministry of Supply. In 1948 it housed the Army Operational Research Group and was in military occupation until 1996.

Listing NGR: TQ0480560848

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.