This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7507 / 51°45'2"N
Longitude: -1.2226 / 1°13'21"W
OS Eastings: 453764
OS Northings: 206068
OS Grid: SP537060
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5.3R0
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.R8J7
Entry Name: The Warneford Hospital
Listing Date: 15 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468687
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Churchill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cowley St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 50 NW
WARNEFORD LANE, Headington
The Warneford Hospital
Mental hospital. 1821-26; by Richard Ingleman of Southwell; as the Oxford Lunatic Asylum; extended 1852 by J.C. Buckler and in 1877 by William Wilkinson and in 1887. Headington stone ashlar; centre of SW front of original range rendered. Slate hipped roofs. Ashlar stacks with moulded cornices. PLAN: The original 1821-6 asylum facing SW comprises a long symmetrical range, the 3-storey centre block containing a central entrance hall flanked at the front by male and female parlours and staircases and at the back a central reception room and offices of the governor and matron. The lower flanking 2-storey male and female wings have axial galleries [wide corridors] at the front and patients` rooms behind; the ends of the wings project and contained the day rooms for the violent. The wings were extended in 1852. At the front there were male and female airing courts for the "superior class" and at the back there were 2nd and 3rd class airing courts and a central passage to a service block. In 1877 the service block was replaced by a new front block with an entrance hall and waiting rooms in a single-storey front range and a 2-storey block behind with a recreation hall and a large clock-tower behind in a French chateau style. The extensions included a female wing to the NW, but the male wing to the SE was not built until 1887-90. EXTERIOR: SW front of original 1821-26 asylum: 3:6:7:6:3 bays, the 7-bay centre block is three storeys, the centre three bays break forward with a pediment, cross-mullion-transom iron windows with glazing bars in chamfered openings, ground and first floor replaced by sashes [except for centre first floor], later C19 2-storey bow windows to left and right of centre and central doorway with stone porch with 4-centred arch; 2-storey flanking wings, the end three bays project; the rear has 3-storey bow at centre and 2-storey bows to left and right; bows also on the ends. The original range is attached to the 1877 extension by a single-storey corridor; north east front has single-storey front range with central portico with pairs of pilasters, carved pediment and round-arch doorway, pilastered bays to right and left with arched lights and lantern above; 2-storey recreation hall behind and behind that a large clock tower with a steep hipped roof with ironwork cresting and aedicules breaking the eaves with clock faces; flanking single-storey wings with bow windows and large 2-storey outer wings also with bows. INTERIOR: The original 1821-6 range has central reception room with bow window to corridor, simple chimneypiece, mahogany cupboard and Gothick style safe; female parlour has chimneypiece with consoles and hatch to corridor; staircases with stick balusters and wreathed mahogany handrail; corridor with arched partitions and panelled and glazed doors. Main entrance in 1877 addition has lantern over polygonal vestibule which contains seated marble statue of Dr Warneford by Peter Hollins, 1840; recreation hall has elaborate trusses cutting through a deep cornice and a carved stone chimneypiece. NOTE: It was planned to build an asylum at the Radcliffe Infirmary, but it was built on this site instead. Originally known as the Oxford Lunatic Asylum, then the Radcliffe Asylum and after 1843 as the Warneford Lunatic Asylum. It was intended for non-pauper patients; there were three classes who would pay according to their financial circumstances. SOURCES: Buildings of England, pp 337-338. Parry-Jones, B., The Warneford Hospital, Oxford 1826-1976.
Listing NGR: SP5376406068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings