History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Warneford Hospital Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.751 / 51°45'3"N

Longitude: -1.2234 / 1°13'24"W

OS Eastings: 453708

OS Northings: 206095

OS Grid: SP537060

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5.3JC

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.R831

Entry Name: The Warneford Hospital Chapel

Listing Date: 15 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468688

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Churchill

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cowley St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Headington

Listing Text

SP 50 NW
612/23/10045

OXFORD
WARNEFORD LANE, Headington
The Warneford Hospital

GV
II

Asylum chapel. 1841-51; by H.J. Underwood. Limestone ashlar. Welsh slate roof with moulded coping to gable ends. PLAN: Nave and small chancel with vestry on the liturgical north side. Entrance at west end under a gallery at this end of the nave; `priests` door at east end of south side of the nave. Victorian Gothic Early English style. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave, the north and south sides divided by pilasters and with tall lancets with hoodmoulds, the south side with 2-light window over `priests` door at east end. The corners of the nave and chancel have set-back buttresses with truncated pinnacles above. The west end of the nave has double-chamfered pointed arch doorway, two small roundels over containing trefoil lights, stringcourse and small gabled bellcote corbelled out above and above that a small trefoil in the gable which is surmounted by a cross. The crosses on the other gables have been removed. The short chancel has east window with three lancet lights under one hoodmould and vestry on north side with small lancets. INTERIOR: Gallery at west end of nave with 3-bay arcade with compound piers, moulded 2-centred arches and arcaded balcony. Tie-beam roof trusses with tracery between the posts. Dado with arched panels and brattishing. Benches with cusped panel ends and wrought-iron lecterns. Double-chamfered chancel arch and vestry arch on north side of chancel with responds with stiff-leaf capitals. Victorian stained glass windows. SOURCE: Parry-Jones, B., The Warneford Hospital, Oxford, 1826-1976.

Listing NGR: SP5370806095

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SP 50 NW
612/23/10045

OXFORD
WARNEFORD LANE, Headington
The Warneford Hospital

GV
II

Asylum chapel. 1841-51; by H.J. Underwood. Limestone ashlar. Welsh slate roof with moulded coping to gable ends. PLAN: Nave and small chancel with vestry on the liturgical north side. Entrance at west end under a gallery at this end of the nave; `priests` door at east end of south side of the nave. Victorian Gothic Early English style. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave, the north and south sides divided by pilasters and with tall lancets with hoodmoulds, the south side with 2-light window over `priests` door at east end. The corners of the nave and chancel have set-back buttresses with truncated pinnacles above. The west end of the nave has double-chamfered pointed arch doorway, two small roundels over containing trefoil lights, stringcourse and small gabled bellcote corbelled out above and above that a small trefoil in the gable which is surmounted by a cross. The crosses on the other gables have been removed. The short chancel has east window with three lancet lights under one hoodmould and vestry on north side with small lancets. INTERIOR: Gallery at west end of nave with 3-bay arcade with compound piers, moulded 2-centred arches and arcaded balcony. Tie-beam roof trusses with tracery between the posts. Dado with arched panels and brattishing. Benches with cusped panel ends and wrought-iron lecterns. Double-chamfered chancel arch and vestry arch on north side of chancel with responds with stiff-leaf capitals. Victorian stained glass windows. SOURCE: Parry-Jones, B., The Warneford Hospital, Oxford, 1826-1976.

Listing NGR: SP5370806095

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.