This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.521 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -0.1224 / 0°7'20"W
OS Eastings: 530362
OS Northings: 181901
OS Grid: TQ303819
Mapcode National: GBR J8.NY
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T1NB
Entry Name: Church of St George the Martyr
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477826
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW QUEEN SQUARE
798-1/100/1365 (West side)
24/10/51 Church of St George the Martyr
Church. c1706. Built by Arthur Tooley, repaired late C18.
Recast 1867-9 by SS Teulon and restored 1952 and 1989. Stucco
with rusticated lower portion. Single storey, rectangular plan
with chancel to the south added by Teulon who almost entirely
altered the exterior.
EXTERIOR: Queen Square facade with Gothic porch to right of
pedimented central projecting bay with 3 buttresses, the
central buttress forming a column between two architraved,
round-headed windows and an architraved oculus above.
Buttresses surmounted by statues of praying angels. Beneath
the windows 4 roundels containing carved reliefs of the
symbols of the 4 Evangelists. To either side of this bay, 3
rounded-arched, traceried windows. Entablature and projecting
cornice. Cosmo Place return pedimented with central
round-arched entrance and 4 windows. Over west end, small
square-plan tower with Gothic canopies (east face shielding a
clock), and surmounted by zinc covered spirelet with louvred
INTERIOR: also remodelled, the present column and roof system
being inserted by Teulon who took down all the galleries save
that to the north which he retained and remodelled.
Fittings: the fine original reredos was retained on the east
wall when Teulon reordered the church with a new south chancel
with full fittings including a reredos with mosaic inlay.
Stalls, pulpit, lectern, parclose screen and altar rails also
by Teulon; other fittings include font, organ and case.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St George the Martyr was built as a chapel of
ease for St Andrew's, Holborn, and became a parish church in
Listing NGR: TQ3036281901
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings