This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5213 / 51°31'16"N
Longitude: -0.1222 / 0°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 530379
OS Northings: 181932
OS Grid: TQ303819
Mapcode National: GBR J8.QV
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T1S3
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk, Adjacent to Garden Railings
Listing Date: 1 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1396440
English Heritage Legacy ID: 509030
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/0/10399 QUEEN SQUARE
K6 telephone kiosk, adjacent to garden
K6 telephone kiosk. Materials: cast iron and glass (except where later modified).
HISTORY: The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
DESCRIPTION: The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment.
This K6 telephone kiosk is situated next to railings bordering Queen Square Garden, at the south end of Queen Square. It stands adjacent to a set of bollards and water pump, which are collectively listed Grade II. Standing close to the K6 telephone kiosk, on the west side of the square are the Church of St George the Martyr (listed Grade II*); the Queen's Larder public house (listed Grade II); and No. 2 Queen Square (listed Grade II).
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The K6 telephone kiosk, adjacent to garden railings, at the south end of Queen Square is designated at Grade II for the principal following reasons:
* Special design interest: designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, the K6 is a landmark of industrial design.
* Group value: this K6 telephone kiosk has a close visual relationship with several listed buildings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings