This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5222 / 51°31'19"N
Longitude: -0.1222 / 0°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 530375
OS Northings: 182032
OS Grid: TQ303820
Mapcode National: GBR J8.QJ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.TZRZ
Entry Name: National Hospital for Neurology
Listing Date: 9 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477828
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3082SW QUEEN SQUARE
798-1/95/1742 (North East side)
09/12/97 National Hospital for Neurology
Hospital. 1883-5. By MP Manning and J Simpson. Red Suffolk
brick with Doulton's terracotta cornices and string courses;
tiled roof. Single rectangular block, originally fronted
earlier building which no longer survives.
PLAN: symmetrical composition around central block: projecting
blocks with recessed link to flanking pavilions.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and basement. 22 bays
altogether. Venetian windows and carved brick in pavilion
gable ends; triangular pediments on second floor. Tall, narrow
round-headed windows with hoods above and pediments on second
floor. Tall, narrow round-headed windows with hoods above and
aprons below on the first floor. Rusticated brickwork on
ground storey. Handsome terracotta entrance porch with
voussoirs. Recessed terracotta balustraded loggias to link
blocks, in French Renaissance style. Ornate blind aedicules on
north pavilion flank wall.
INTERIOR: entrance foyer, offices, board room and chapel on
ground floor; wards above. Doric screen between foyer and main
staircase compartment. Staircase rises to first floor against
rear wall, dominated by large Venetian window with stained
glass. Chapel to right of entrance, rectangular in plan, lit
by octagonal dome with coloured glass border. Green marble
Corinthian columns and pilasters. Plain frieze with dentilled
cornice. Coved ceiling. Stained glass window behind altar
dates from 1885. Board room to right of entrance also,
fronting Queen Square, panelled and with fitted cupboards
having leaded glazed fronts; elaborate wooden mantelpiece
above faience surround fireplace inset with De Morgan tiles.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the hospital was founded in 1860 by Louisa
and Joanna Chandler for the care of the paralysed and
epileptic. Money for this block was raised by HRH Duke of
Albany and opened by his brother Edward, Prince of Wales, in
(The Builder: 22 May 1880; The Builder: 7 July 1883; Building
News: 27 June 1884; Building News: 3 July 1885; Holmes G: The
National Hospital in Queen Square, 1860-1948: London: 1954-).
Listing NGR: TQ3037582032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings