This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5215 / 51°31'17"N
Longitude: -0.1228 / 0°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 530334
OS Northings: 181952
OS Grid: TQ303819
Mapcode National: GBR J8.LS
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T0FZ
Plus Code: 9C3XGVCG+HV
Entry Name: Number 6 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477821
Location: Holborn and Covent Garden, Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW QUEEN SQUARE
798-1/100/1360 (West side)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.6 AND 7)
Terraced house with purpose-built meeting hall, in use as the
headquarters of the Art-Workers' Guild. c1713, refronted later
C18. c1914 alterations and additions by FW Troup for the
Art-Workers' Guild. Darkened multi-coloured stock brick with
evidence of tuck pointing. Slated mansard roof with dormer.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows. Wooden
doorcase with sunk panels to pilasters carrying entablature
with dentil cornice, rectangular patterned fanlight and
panelled door; threshold with the monogram of the Art-Workers'
Guild executed in white marble. Gauged red brick flat arches
to recessed sashes. Plain stucco band at 1st floor level;
stone cornice at 3rd floor level. Stone capped parapet.
Original lead rainwater head and pipe. Rear elevation original
with elongated windows.
INTERIOR: retains its original plan form throughout with
fielded panelling, 6-panel doors, moulded cornices and dado
rails, fireplaces and good stairs with twisted balusters and
column newels. Entrance hall with 2 arch-headed niches and
cornice of thick mouldings. Rear projecting wing, probably
originally withdrawing rooms, has elegant decorative woodwork.
1st floor front room with Regency plasterwork. Top storey flat
by FW Troup, with fireplace and kitchen cabinets; Troup also
designed the meeting hall to the rear.
Meeting hall: single storey with red brick entrance; above the
doorway, a segmental-arched stone aedicule, containing a
decorative lead plaque with the gilded initials AWG set within
gilded oak leaf sprays above the date 1914. INTERIOR: panelled
walls with a low picture rail below a broad frieze. Above the
frieze, oval architraved niches containing busts of the Guild
masters by Frampton, Bayes and WS Frith. The hall is lit by a
large hipped roof light, with dormers, supported on deep
ceiling beams around which the deep dentil cornice extends.
Bolection-moulded oak chimney-piece.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with torch
flambe finials to area.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Martin Folkes, President of the Royal Society
and of the Society of Antiquaries lived at No.6 until 1763 and
at No.7 until 1765. Later in the C19 the building partly
entered into commercial use with Robert Ackermann's lithograph
and colour-printing business located in premises at the rear
until 1913 when they were demolished. In this year the lease
was purchased by the Art-Workers' Guild, a society of
painters, sculptors and architects which had been set up in
1884 by pupils of Norman Shaw, prominent amongst whom were
Gerald Horsley and Mervyn Macartney.
(Jackson N: F W Troup Architect 1859-1941: London: -1985: 108;
The Builder: 15 February 1918: London: 110).
Listing NGR: TQ3033481952
Other nearby listed buildings