This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5192 / 51°31'9"N
Longitude: -0.1367 / 0°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 529380
OS Northings: 181676
OS Grid: TQ293816
Mapcode National: GBR F9.HL
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.L23Q
Plus Code: 9C3XGV97+M8
Entry Name: 56, Goodge Street
Listing Date: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472992
Location: Camden, London, W1T
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2981 NW CAMDEN GOODGE STREET, W1
798-1/98/10002 No 56
House, now with ground-floor restaurant. c.1760 on land held by the Goodge family. Brown brick, mansard slate roof behind parapets, party wall stack. Four storeys and basement, the uppermost treated as an attic at rear. Regular two-bay plan, with staircase at rear and two main -ooms pel- floor. EXTERIOR. Ground floor altered in C20. Above is a regular facade in which five of six C18 sash windows survive with small paned glazing bars under gauged brick heads. At rear the ground floor is built out. First floor with projecting bow, a rare feature, with C20 door on to protruding roof set between two sashes with glazing bars. Attic room window with horizontal sliding sash, an extremely rare feature in London. INTERIOR. The ground floor has been altered, but from it rises a fu1l-height C18 staircase with gendy moulded handrail and newel posts, and stick balusters. Dado rail and thick skirting board give impression that lower wall is panelled; their proportions are clearly carefully considered. Many original doors. Dado panelling survives well in first-floor rear room. Second floor rooms with box cornices, and panelling over and around cupboards set in fireplace reveals. Third floor survives particularly well, with cupboard at top of landing, simple, unmoulded doors and C19 cast-iron fireplaces. Goodge Street was built following an application in 1758 by Francis and William Goodge to the Commissioners of Sewers. This house is a remarkably complete survival.
Source: Survey of London, vol.XXI, 1949, pp4, 34-5
Listing NGR: TQ2938081676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings