This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8682 / 51°52'5"N
Longitude: -2.2485 / 2°14'54"W
OS Eastings: 382988
OS Northings: 218880
OS Grid: SO829188
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.VRJ
Mapcode Global: VH94B.Z95N
Entry Name: Bishop Hooper's Monument
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472426
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST MARY'S SQUARE (West side)
Bishop Hooper's Monument
Monument commemorating Bishop Hooper on the site where the bishop was burnt at the stake in 1555. 1861-63. By Medland and Maberley. Ashlar. A "tabernacle" canopy, in a Decorated Gothic style, containing a slightly larger than life size statue of the bishop by Edward W Thornhill of Dublin. Paid for by public subscription.
EXTERIOR: square base, with moulded plinth and weathered top, rising from the base at each corner buttressed piers, crowned by pinnacles at each corner and on each side between the piers an open, foiled arch and gablet; all crowned by a tall, crocketed spire with finial; within the canopy on an arcaded base the standing statue of the bishop facing east.
Listing NGR: SO8298818880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings