This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2133 / 53°12'47"N
Longitude: -1.6789 / 1°40'44"W
OS Eastings: 421537
OS Northings: 368518
OS Grid: SK215685
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.GBT
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.5HRG
Entry Name: Chantry House
Listing Date: 7 January 1970
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468183
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Built-Up Area: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 NORTH CHURCH STREET
831-1/4/143 (South side)
07/01/70 Chantry House
(Formerly Listed as:
House. Medieval origin rebuilt c1780. Deeply-coursed sandstone
and limestone rubble; Welsh slate and concrete tile roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with cellar. 4-window range to entrance
front and 3-window range to right return facing North Church
Entrance front: bay 3 has part-glazed 6-panel door in porch
with trellised front and swept leaded roof. Projecting stone
sills to ashlar surrounds: 8/8 sash to left of porch and two
6/6 sashes over. Bay one has 2-light, square-faced mullioned
windows with 4/4 sashes. Bay 4 with 8/8 sash to each floor;
arcaded plaque to gable; ashlar copings. Stone end stack on
left; ridge stack; rendered stack on ridge behind bay 4 gable.
Rear: irregular masonry with C17 panelled door now painted and
Right return: rubble limestone with battered plinth and large
quoins. Steps at left end and winding steps with iron handrail
to doorway on right. Large tripartite sashes with glazing bars
cut through a chamfered string course; a Medieval carving of
what appears to be a horse's head projects from wall above.
Tripartite sash and 2 4/8 sashes to first floor.
INTERIOR: chamfered, quoined entrance to arched cellar. Early
C19 staircase with turned newel and square rods; earlier
balusters to landing.
HISTORY: an extensive documentary collection with owner
indicates that the site at least has been associated with the
priest engaged by the Chantry of Our Lady since the C12 or
The Chantry property can be traced through to the Dissolution
of the Chantries in 1547 when Sir Richard Manners purchased
the freehold. There are specific references to the house in
C17 documents relating to the rebuilding of churchyard walls.
In 1781 a major rebuilding scheme prompted the Society of
Antiquaries to publish a drawing of the early fabric; this
shows a house of the same form with mullioned windows and the
suggestion of a round-arched doorway to first floor in the
manner of a first-floor hall house; also shown is a gable
plaque with chalice and missal framed by ancient lettering.
(Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society:
1990-: 9-12; Collection of Archival Documents).
Listing NGR: SK2153768518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings