This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5338 / 51°32'1"N
Longitude: -0.1466 / 0°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 528647
OS Northings: 183281
OS Grid: TQ286832
Mapcode National: GBR C4.7C
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.DQV2
Entry Name: The Danish Church
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477947
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdalene Munster Sq.
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883SE ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT
798-1/82/1517 (East side)
10/06/54 The Danish Church
(Formerly Listed as:
ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT
The Danish Church, No.4 (The
Pastor's House), No.5 (St
St Katharine's College Chapel, now the Danish Lutheran Church
in London. 1826-1828. By Ambrose Poynter. For the Royal
Hospital of St Katharine. Restored 1969. Grey brick with stone
dressings; west end with stone facing. Tall, collegiate type
chapel in Perpendicular style of 7 bays. Attached to and
flanking the church, No.4 The Pastor's House and No.5 St
Katharine's Hall (qv).
EXTERIOR: west end gabled with octagonal corner turrets having
arrow slit windows, enriched above the roof line and
terminating in spires. Pointed arch doorway with wooden door
and square-headed label with enriched spandrels and stops.
Above this, a tall 7-light traceried window. A hexagonal clock
surmounted by a crown and flanked by coats of arms in the apex
of the facade. North and south facades with a high, tall
3-light traceried window to each bay, above which the cornice
and blocking course. East end with similar traceried window to
INTERIOR: simple and whitewashed, with two figures of Moses
and John the Baptist late C17 by Caius Cibber brought from the
former Danish Seamen's Mission in Commercial Road E14; former
church fittings and monuments dispersed c1950 between the
Tower of London and St Katharine's Foundation, Butcher Row
HISTORICAL NOTE: St Katharine's College Chapel was built to
replace a chapel forming part of the religious hospice,
founded in 1148 by Queen Matilda and later known as the
Hospital of St Katharine, on a site next to the Tower of
London; in 1825 the original site was made into St Katharine's
Dock. The patronage of the chapel had always rested with the
Queen of England; Queen Alexandra, Danish wife of King Edward
VII, granted it to the Danish community in London.
(Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town,
St Pancras II: London: -1938: 101-115).
Listing NGR: TQ2864783281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings