History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain Horse Trough to North of White Hart Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in West Middleton, Rochdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5661 / 53°33'58"N

Longitude: -2.2259 / 2°13'33"W

OS Eastings: 385137

OS Northings: 407748

OS Grid: SD851077

Mapcode National: GBR DWW6.XC

Mapcode Global: WHB92.SM7H

Entry Name: Fountain Horse Trough to North of White Hart Inn

Listing Date: 26 June 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487736

Location: Rochdale, OL10

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: West Middleton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Langley

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heywood

Listing Text


SD80NE
335/2/10048
26-JUN-01

HEYWOOD OLD ROAD
(Northwest side)

Fountain Horse Trough to north of White Hart Inn

II

Drinking fountain and horse and dog drinking troughs. 1888, relocated late C20. By Edgar Wood, architect for Messrs W.C. Wood and Bros, textile manufacturers. Ashlar gritstone and red brick. Depressed semi-circular arched structure rising from shallow gabled buttresses. The arch is supported by a square pier, rising from a red brick base, and which passes through the arch centre, the arch head carrying gablets either side of the pier. Moulded flat cap to pier, with small dome finials to corners. Located between the central pier and the outer buttresses are two stone troughs.
HISTORY: The trough was designed to commemorate the completion of a new weaving shed at Messrs. Woods' textile factory, and donated to the people of Birch. It was relocated and repaired of a site close to its original location following a road widening scheme.

Listing NGR: SD8513707748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SD80NE
335/2/10048
26-JUN-01

HEYWOOD OLD ROAD
(Northwest side)

Fountain Horse Trough to north of White Hart Inn

II

Drinking fountain and horse and dog drinking troughs. 1888, relocated late C20. By Edgar Wood, architect for Messrs W.C. Wood and Bros, textile manufacturers. Ashlar gritstone and red brick. Depressed semi-circular arched structure rising from shallow gabled buttresses. The arch is supported by a square pier, rising from a red brick base, and which passes through the arch centre, the arch head carrying gablets either side of the pier. Moulded flat cap to pier, with small dome finials to corners. Located between the central pier and the outer buttresses are two stone troughs.
HISTORY: The trough was designed to commemorate the completion of a new weaving shed at Messrs. Woods' textile factory, and donated to the people of Birch. It was relocated and repaired of a site close to its original location following a road widening scheme.

Listing NGR: SD8513707748

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.