History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Appledore Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Appledore, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0334 / 51°2'0"N

Longitude: 0.8165 / 0°48'59"E

OS Eastings: 597577

OS Northings: 129780

OS Grid: TQ975297

Mapcode National: GBR RY5.38G

Mapcode Global: FRA D6LD.3Y0

Entry Name: Appledore Railway Station

Listing Date: 2 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487726

Location: Appledore, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Appledore

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Wavehorne

Listing Text

APPLEDORE

TQ 92 NE Appledore Railway Station
945/14/10014
02-JUL-01

GV II

Railway station. 1851 by William Tress for the South Eastern Railway. Red brick with white gault brick and stucco dressings, and Welsh slate roofs. Two storeys with a single storey wing at either gable end.
Yard elevation: Three bays with a central one set forward under a gable. Full height quoin pilasters in white brick. An arched window on the ground floor in each bay, 2-light casements, the centre one is blocked and has a Victorian wall letterbox set below the cill. The door is in the left return, arched head with keystone, part glazed double doors, blocked window in the right return. First floor cill band. Square headed windows, paired ones over with marginal glazing in the centre. Hipped roof with three tall stacks. Small gabled wings at either end, which are probably original. The end elevations are blind.
Platform elevation: The centre bay projects slightly and has a central arched doorway with fanlight; this is flanked by blocked arched windows. Three square headed windows above with marginal glazing and stucco surrounds. Pilasters, band and gable as before. Window in either wing.
Interior: The building is currently (February 2001) boarded up.
History: Appledore station was opened in 1851. It is on the Hastings and Ashford line of the South Eastern Railway and all the stations were designed by William Tress. At Appledore the original building is almost unaltered. It opened as a single-track line with single sided stations, but was later doubled. It became a junction with the line to Dungeness in 1881 and has once again been singled since 1979.
Reference: G A Pryor and G J Bowling, An Historical Survey of selected Southern Stations, O.P.C., p10.


Listing NGR: TQ9757729780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.