History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Goods Shed at Appledore Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Appledore, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0332 / 51°1'59"N

Longitude: 0.8163 / 0°48'58"E

OS Eastings: 597563

OS Northings: 129756

OS Grid: TQ975297

Mapcode National: GBR RY5.36B

Mapcode Global: FRA D6LD.3TT

Entry Name: Goods Shed at Appledore Railway Station

Listing Date: 2 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245944

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487727

Location: Appledore, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Appledore

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Snargate

Listing Text

APPLEDORE

945/0/10015 Goods shed at Appledore Railway Station
02-JUL-01

GV II

Railway goods shed. 1851 for the South Eastern Railway. Red brick with Welsh slate roof. Three bays. Designed as a threshing barn with central double cart doors in a small porch and an arched lancet window in a large sunk panel on either side. There is an elliptically headed doorway in either gable for through truck running. The unusual feature of this goods shed is the long rear wall, which supports a canopy for the platform along its whole length. This is supported on four timber posts and has a pierced and fretted valance. This unusual feature was probably added to the shed in the late C19.
Interior: It is reported that it still retains its original crane.
History: Appledore station was opened in 1851. It is on the Hastings and Ashford line of the South Eastern Railway and all the stations were designed by William Tress. At Appledore the original building is almost unaltered. It opened as a single-track line with single sided stations, but was later doubled. It became a junction with the line to Dungeness in 1881 and has once again been singled since 1979. The goods shed was closed in 1963.
Reference: G A Pryor and G J Bowling, An Historical Survey of selected Southern Stations, O.P.C., p10.

Listing NGR: TQ9756329756

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.