This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2152 / 51°12'54"N
Longitude: -0.5687 / 0°34'7"W
OS Eastings: 500065
OS Northings: 147190
OS Grid: TQ000471
Mapcode National: GBR FCR.M21
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.3Q6B
Plus Code: 9C3X6C8J+3G
Entry Name: Shalford Cemetery Chapel
Listing Date: 23 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472053
Location: Shalford, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: Shalford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shalford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 NW SHALFORD HORSHAM ROAD
(west side, off)
431/4/10018 Shalford Cemetery Chapel
Cemetery chapel. 1886 by E L Lunn of Peak & Lunn; repair work c 1998. Of Bargate rubblestone brought to course with Portland stone dressings; renewed plain tile roof with decorative ridge tiles. Semi-hexagonal west and east ends, gabled south porch and north vestry. In Decorated Gothic style having: chamfered plinth; offset butresses; moulded eaves; gables with ashlar coping, moulded kneelers and finials; pointed-arched openings, the board doors with decorative iron hinges, the 2-light windows with cusped lights and sexfoils over, panels of sunken quatrefoils below and gablets with trefoils above. Porch has cusped entrance, attached colonettes with foliage-decorated capitals, ballflowers to arch, and blind quatrefoil over.
Interior: walls of red brick with blue-brick bands; floor of coloured tiles; coloured glass to windows; pews with moulded seat-dividers and brackets to side walls and west end; decorative wooden pulpit; panelled catafalque. Decorative roof has moulded stone corbels and wooden brackets; cusping to principal rafters; king-post trusses with pendant ball finials; framework for former roof feature. A good-quality non-conformist cemetery chapel with original internal fittings.
Listing NGR: TQ0006547190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings