This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5289 / 51°31'44"N
Longitude: -0.2212 / 0°13'16"W
OS Eastings: 523491
OS Northings: 182614
OS Grid: TQ234826
Mapcode National: GBR BD.8YH
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.3TYS
Plus Code: 9C3XGQHH+HG
Entry Name: Mausoleum of James Morison, Kensal Green Cemetery
Listing Date: 3 July 1998
Last Amended: 3 April 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487687
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W10
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Queens Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michaell and All Angels Ladbroke Grove
Church of England Diocese: London
Portland stone mausoleum, dated 1838.
Portland stone mausoleum with cast iron door commemorating James Morison, dated 1838. By R H Shout, mason. It has battered sides and the upper part of the walls are decorated with garlands whilst the frieze is decorated with wreaths and fillets. There are prominent acroteria at all angles. The northern pediment contains an armorial relief.
Morison (died 1841) was a proprietor of patent medicines known as 'the Hygienist', and was an early promoter of the cemetery. The original design for the monument is in the Victorian and Albert Museum.
The Cemetery of All Souls at Kensal Green was the earliest of the large privately-run cemeteries established on the fringes of London to relieve pressure on overcrowded urban churchyards. Its founder George Frederick Carden intended it as an English counterpart to the great Père-Lachaise cemetery in Paris, which he had visited in 1821. In 1830, with the financial backing of the banker Sir John Dean Paul, Carden established the General Cemetery Company, and two years later an Act of Parliament was obtained to develop a 55-acre site at Kensal Green, then among open fields to the west of the metropolis. An architectural competition was held, but the winning entry – a Gothic scheme by HE Kendall – fell foul of Sir John's classicising tastes, and the surveyor John Griffith of Finsbury was eventually employed both to lay out the grounds and to design the Greek Revival chapels, entrance arch and catacombs, built between 1834 and 1837. A sequence of royal burials, beginning in 1843 with that of Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, ensured the cemetery’s popularity. It is still administered by the General Cemetery Company, assisted since 1989 by the Friends of Kensal Green.
The Mausoleum of James Morison is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Artistic interest: one of the largest and most impressive of the early memorials at Kensal Green, its design strongly influenced by Parisian exemplars;
* Group value: with other listed monuments within the Grade I registered Kensal Green Cemetery.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings