This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6135 / 51°36'48"N
Longitude: -0.5962 / 0°35'46"W
OS Eastings: 497297
OS Northings: 191451
OS Grid: SU972914
Mapcode National: GBR F6W.S3Y
Mapcode Global: VHFSP.MP5Y
Plus Code: 9C3XJC73+9G
Entry Name: Cranford St Davids and Woodside and Fir Tree Cottage and Hawthorn Cottage and the Homstead
Listing Date: 21 May 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487612
Location: Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, HP9
Civil Parish: Chalfont St Giles
Built-Up Area: Seer Green
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Seer Green and Jordans
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHALFONT ST GILES
985/0/10011 GREEN WEST ROAD
21-MAY-01 Cranford St Davids, Woodside, Fir Tree
Cottage, Hawthorn Cottage and The Hom
Terraced cottages, formerly workers housing. 1919. Fred Rowntree for the Quaker Trust. Brick walls, tile roofs, wood windows (sashes and casements) and doors. Named, not numbered (Cranford, St. Davids, Woodside, Firtree Cottage, Hawthorn Cottage, The Homestead).
PLAN: Range of 6 attached cottages with projecting cottages to north and south ends.
FACADE: 2 projecting sections at each end with sweeping roof to ground floor and dormers to centre and side. Central range of two storeys with second-floor windows cut out of slightly overhung roof. Prominent chimneys. Wood flush-framed multi-paned sashes, casements and plank exterior doors. Corner entrance porches at projecting sections with hipped roof supported by column of flint and brick. Brick pilasters capped with abstract capital to central range entrances.
INTERIOR: Interior not inspected but thought to be plain as originally workers cottages.
SUBSIDIARY: Directly addresses the 1919 Village Green at the core of the village of Jordans.
HISTORY: Construction of the village of Jordans, an ideal planned community for Quakers, began in 1919 to Fred Rowntree's designs of 1916. This terrace forms a group with the other surviving terraces around the Village Green, those first built at Jordans and intended for workers at Jordans Village Industries.
This terrace is listed for its contribution to the group value of the historically significant Jordans village and as a range of mostly unaltered and well-designed workers housing.
SOURCES: Buildings of England, Buckinghamshire.
Listing NGR: SU9904893535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings