This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5211 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -0.4505 / 0°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 507605
OS Northings: 181376
OS Grid: TQ076813
Mapcode National: GBR 20.YZ6
Mapcode Global: VHFTC.41Q8
Entry Name: Outbuilding at Hubbards Farm
Listing Date: 1 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487567
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB8
Electoral Ward/Division: Yiewsley
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Hayes
Church of England Diocese: London
804/0/10060 WEST DRAYTON ROAD
01-JUN-01 Colham Green
Outbuilding at Hubbards Farm
Late medieval 'long house'-type structure, c.1500, with additions at south end dated by dendrochronology to 1579. Oak frame, red clay tile roof. Six bays: northern three bays are original house, with c1579 two bay extension for stables to south, and subsequent southernmost bay added thereafter. Two storeys throughout, except for northern two bays which retain original late medieval double-height hall layout with smoke blackened timbers. East and north exterior wall rebuilt in yellow stock brick (probably early 19th century), post 1970 garage door with concrete lintel to east wall; south and west walls have weather-boarding over original timber framing. Red tiled roof, hipped to south end. Clasped-purlin roof with diminished principal rafters throughout, with common rafters pegged through to the purlins within the south extension. Arch-braced collar truss over centre of south extension, with second truss added following the structural failure of the original truss. Central cross frame at open hall end has diminutive braces to tie-beam and evidence for an original bridging beam spanning across the building at first floor level. Original (but raised) floor frames. Many areas of original lath and plaster infilling with hazel or willow ties. HISTORY: above-ground evidence of buildings used by both humans and animals under one roof on the 'long-house' pattern is slight and this example constitutes an important survival of this house type which sheds much light on early modern farm buildings. Its special interest is compounded by its unmodernized, open hall configuration which has never had a chimneystack inserted within, or floor inserted.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings