This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3383 / 52°20'17"N
Longitude: -1.2837 / 1°17'1"W
OS Eastings: 448902
OS Northings: 271378
OS Grid: SP489713
Mapcode National: GBR 7PM.69T
Mapcode Global: VHCTX.PHR9
Plus Code: 9C4W8PQ8+8G
Entry Name: Stable Block at Dunchurch Lodge
Listing Date: 18 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487455
Location: Dunchurch, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22
Civil Parish: Dunchurch
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Dunchurch St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP4871 RUGBY ROAD
1724/11/10039 Stable Block at Dunchurch Lodge
Stable block to country house. 1907, by Gilbert Fraser of Liverpool for John Lancaster, with additions and alterations 1952 and 1958. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Westmoreland slate roofs with large coped ridge stacks. Quoins and coped gables. Renaissance Revival style. Square stable yard enclosed on all sides, with water tower above carriage entrance on NE side, and projecting wing to SW.
Entrance front has central square water tower, 3 stages, with full height pilasters, square pinnacles and cornices, culminating in a setback leaded spire topped with a wind vane in the form of a man shooting. Moulded segment arched carriage opening with hood, and double wooden gates with balusters. Above, a 3-light stone mullioned window to front and rear. Above again, on each side, a blank panel and above it, a dormer with a round window and semicircular pediment. Flanking the tower, low ranges with stone mullioned windows of various sizes. Above, box dormers, 3 to left with original glazing, 2 to right with UPVC windows. Left return, mid C20, 2 storeys, 6 bays, with casements. Right return, 7 bays, has continuous dormer and late C20 glazing. Baroque style roof ventilator with leaded dome. At the rear, and in the stable yard, reglazed windows and doors in the original openings with stone surrounds. Mid C20 paving in the stable yard has inlaid designs of engineering instruments. The rear wing has a round-arched through-eaves dormer on each side, one with a cross-mu1lioned casement, the other with a door and overlight, and box dormers. On the SE side, a large opening with C20 glazing, flanked by a half -glazed door and mullioned window, and on the NW side, a covered way, mid C20, with flat roof and brick piers. INTERIOR: extensively refitted, mid and late C20.
Listing NGR: SP4890271378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings