This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9625 / 52°57'45"N
Longitude: -1.1592 / 1°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 456573
OS Northings: 340904
OS Grid: SK565409
Mapcode National: GBR LML.44
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.5S8Q
Entry Name: Nottingham High School
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454761
Location: Nottingham, NG7
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
(North West side)
Nottingham High School
Boys' high school. 1866-67. By T Simpson, assisted by Hine &
Evans, of Nottingham. Basement excavated 1870 and 1880s.
Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Elizabethan
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses, buttresses with pinnacles,
coped parapets. Windows are mainly leaded casements with stone
mullions and tracery, and label moulds. Single storey and 2
storeys, plus basement; 5:3:5 bays. Central block topped with
a tower, with flanking wings.
Projecting central block has a Y-plan stairway with central
double doors to the basement. Pointed arched double door to
ground floor, with traceried spandrels, and niche and pinnacle
above. On each side, canted bay windows, 7-lights, rising from
the basement. Above them, small windows, 3-lights. Upper
stage, set back, has a slightly projecting centre, and 3
windows, 3-lights. Above again, a set back square tower,
single stage, with crenellated parapet and tall crenellated
corner turret. Projecting window, 3-lights, on each side.
Left wing, single storey plus basement, has a slightly
projecting central bay with a 5-light window, flanked by two
3-light windows. Basement has cross-mullioned windows, 4 and
Right wing, 2 storeys plus basement, has similar fenestration
with simpler tracery.
INTERIOR has entrance hall with 3 roll moulded pointed arched
doors to the main entrance and flanking rooms, the left room
with wainscot, moulded cornice and pointed arch to bay window.
Cusped arch to corridor to left wing.
First floor library in left wing, altered c1986, has a hammer
beam roof with wall shafts and angel corbels, and 3 blind
pointed arches at the west end. First floor room in right
wing, altered c1955, has scissor braced roof with wall shafts
and corbels. Traceried window, 5-lights, now blocked, at east
end. Similar window at west end altered to form screen and
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 239; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers
Hine; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 25).
Listing NGR: SK5657340904
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings