This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9377 / 52°56'15"N
Longitude: -1.2005 / 1°12'1"W
OS Eastings: 453831
OS Northings: 338115
OS Grid: SK538381
Mapcode National: GBR LBW.31
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.JFK6
Plus Code: 9C4WWQQX+3R
Entry Name: Lenton House
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454777
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lenton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NW BEESTON LANE
646-1/6/27 (East side (off))
12/07/72 Lenton House
(Formerly Listed as:
Lenton House, University of
House, now company guest house, attached outbuildings and
screen wall. 1800, with additions 1816 and 1890. Stucco, with
Westmorland slate hipped roofs and various rendered coped
stacks. Plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, plus basement to addition. 3/3 bays.
L-plan. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. Those
to south and west fronts mostly have shutters.
South front has to right a canted bay window, 2 storeys, 3
sashes. To left, a blank flanked by single windows, and above,
2 windows. West front has a central bow window, 2 storeys, 3
sashes, flanked by single windows. To left, a garden shelter
with 2 pairs of columns.
Entrance front, in courtyard to north, has a central square
porch, 2 storey, with cornice and parapet. Recessed Doric
portico with panelled door in reeded surround. Above, a
round-arched tripartite stair window. Single sash to right,
pairs of smaller sashes on 3 floors to left. Courtyard has a
screen wall to west, with central gateway.
Addition, 1816, to east of the main block, has rendered coped
ridge and side wall stacks. Projecting basement with 4 small
windows, under a balustrade. Above, 4 ground floor windows,
and 3 above, unequally spaced. All these windows have
At the rear, a low service range flanking the courtyard.
Beyond, service buildings dated 1890, painted brick. 3 ranges,
single storey and 2 storeys.
INTERIOR has a wooden dogleg staircase with stick balusters
and ramped handrail. Ground floor rooms to south front have
cornices and 6-panel doors, Classical inlaid marble fireplace,
and a similar more elaborate fireplace with a figure panel,
flanked by doors. Corresponding first floor rooms and landing
have plaster wall panels, cornices, and 2 fireplaces. One room
with a coved ceiling.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5383138115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings