This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9365 / 52°56'11"N
Longitude: -1.1963 / 1°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 454110
OS Northings: 337983
OS Grid: SK541379
Mapcode National: GBR LCW.0G
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.LGJ4
Plus Code: 9C4WWRP3+JF
Entry Name: Trent Building, University of Nottingham
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457109
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lenton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NW EAST DRIVE
646-1/6/200 (North side)
Trent Building, University of
Educational building, now university. 1922-28. By Morley
Horder for the University College of Nottingham. Site provided
by Sir Jesse Boot of Nottingham. Portland stone with copper
roofs. Classical Revival style.
EXTERIOR: ground floor string course, main and attic cornices,
coped parapets. Windows are mainly original glazing bar
sashes. Symmetrical composition with central block recessed
between wings and topped by a tall clock tower. 2 storeys plus
basement and attics; 7:17:7 windows. H-plan, with central
quadrangle flanked to east and west by open-ended courtyards.
In the centre, a projecting portico, 3 windows, with pediment
containing a crest. Cross-casement French windows to basement
and ground floor. Above the portico, the square bell tower
with angle pilasters and pyramidal roof with wind vane. On the
middle stage, pedimented aedicules and clock faces.
Side wings, 2 storeys plus basement, are divided by giant
pilasters, doubled at the corners. East wing has an extended
basement, 7 windows.
In the quadrangle, under the tower, the projecting main
entrance, with a round-arched opening, 2 storeys, containing a
moulded ashlar doorcase with a Diocletian window above. Over
it, a tripartite attic window, and a flat gable with a large
datestone, 1928, and Latin inscription. The other sides have
regular fenestration and central doors.
East courtyard has regular fenestration on each side, with
central doorways to east and north. Similar west courtyard,
flanked on north and south by single storey ranges.
INTERIOR has stone panelled lobby, entrance hall, and
corridors on each floor. Entrance hall has moulded cross beam
ceiling on 4 granite Doric columns. East wing has a concrete
open well stair. Adjoining library, 2 storeys, has panelled
ceiling with skylights and cross beams. Largely intact
original fittings including wooden screens and balconies in
each bay. West wing has Great Hall, 2 storeys, marble clad,
with panelled cross beam ceiling. Arcades, 7 bays, with square
piers, galleries, and central doors. Coved ends, one with
stage, the other with organ gallery.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5411037983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings