History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canning Terrace Including Cemetery Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9561 / 52°57'21"N

Longitude: -1.1616 / 1°9'41"W

OS Eastings: 456421

OS Northings: 340186

OS Grid: SK564401

Mapcode National: GBR LLN.LG

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.4Y4N

Entry Name: Canning Terrace Including Cemetery Gateway

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454882

Location: Nottingham, NG7

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SW CANNING CIRCUS
646-1/12/73 (North East side)
12/07/72 Nos.1-15 (consecutive) Canning
Terrace including cemetery gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Cemetery Gateway, Canning Terrace)
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Nos 2-7 (consec) Canning Terrace)
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Nos 10-15 (consec) Canning Terrace)

GV II

Cemetery gatehouse flanked by almshouses. 1837-40. By SS
Rawlinson for the General Cemetery Co. Restored c1985. Stucco
and brick, with slate roofs and corniced stacks. Debased
Classical style. Dentillated cornices. Symmetrical facade,
with square gatehouse flanked by ranges of almshouses with
pedimented centres.
2 storeys; 3/1/3 bays. Gatehouse has a recessed rusticated
centre with a round carriage arch under a dentillated cornice.
Projecting side bays have single windows, round-arched on the
first floor. Central square clock tower, topped by a
round-arched bell turret with cross pediments. On each side, a
large stack. Similar rear elevation. Under the archway, 2
pairs of cast-iron gates and short flanking railings. The
gates are marked "Falconer & Co., Derby, 1838".
Almshouses have projecting centres and 3 symmetrically placed
stacks. Round-arched ground floor openings with moulded heads
and lintel band. In each bay, 2 glazing bar windows flanked by
doors. Tripartite first floor windows with a narrow centre
light. Centre window is flanked by shouldered blanks.
Named for George Canning, Prime Minister in 1827.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 243).


Listing NGR: SK5642140186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SW CANNING CIRCUS
646-1/12/73 (North East side)
12/07/72 Nos.1-15 (consecutive) Canning
Terrace including cemetery gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Cemetery Gateway, Canning Terrace)
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Nos 2-7 (consec) Canning Terrace)
(Formerly Listed as:
CANNING CIRCUS
Nos 10-15 (consec) Canning Terrace)

GV II

Cemetery gatehouse flanked by almshouses. 1837-40. By SS
Rawlinson for the General Cemetery Co. Restored c1985. Stucco
and brick, with slate roofs and corniced stacks. Debased
Classical style. Dentillated cornices. Symmetrical facade,
with square gatehouse flanked by ranges of almshouses with
pedimented centres.
2 storeys; 3/1/3 bays. Gatehouse has a recessed rusticated
centre with a round carriage arch under a dentillated cornice.
Projecting side bays have single windows, round-arched on the
first floor. Central square clock tower, topped by a
round-arched bell turret with cross pediments. On each side, a
large stack. Similar rear elevation. Under the archway, 2
pairs of cast-iron gates and short flanking railings. The
gates are marked "Falconer & Co., Derby, 1838".
Almshouses have projecting centres and 3 symmetrically placed
stacks. Round-arched ground floor openings with moulded heads
and lintel band. In each bay, 2 glazing bar windows flanked by
doors. Tripartite first floor windows with a narrow centre
light. Centre window is flanked by shouldered blanks.
Named for George Canning, Prime Minister in 1827.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 243).


Listing NGR: SK5642140186

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.