This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2546 / 53°15'16"N
Longitude: -2.7083 / 2°42'29"W
OS Eastings: 352842
OS Northings: 373294
OS Grid: SJ528732
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZJT.G1
Mapcode Global: WH884.CGLB
Entry Name: Crossley East Hospital
Listing Date: 7 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487227
Location: Manley, Cheshire West and Chester, WA6
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Manley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Delamere St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 57 SW
Crossley East Hospital
Tuberculosis hospital. A charitable foundation sponsored by the Crossley family of Manchester. 1902-1904. Mid- and late C20 alterations and additions. Red brick, with terracotta dressings and pebbledash panels in various colours. Plain tile hipped roofs with finials and coped stacks. 3 storeys plus attics; 23 windows arranged 1/4/1/4/3/4/1/4/1. Renaissance Revival style. Windows are mainly wooden cross casements with glazing bars in the top lights; some are partly reglazed in the original openings.
The main block has a symmetrical E-plan, with a central external corridor at the rear linking it with the cruciform ancillary buildings comprising the chapel, dining room and kitchens. A covered way at the east end of the main block connects with the L-plan open air ward.
Central entrance bay has plinth, sill bands, dentillated eaves cornice, shaped polychrome gable and an octagonal domed turret with louvred openings and finial. Projecting centre with dentillated segmental pediment and enriched tympanum. Square terracotta porch with rusticated columns and pierced balustrade, containing half-glazed door with fanlight and sidelights, flanked by single windows in the same style. Above, a cross-casement, flanked by single windows under segmental arches with keystones. Above again, a segment-arched recess with shaped stone balcony and wrought iron railing, flanked by single windows. In the gable, a S-light casement with round arched centre light and label mould.
Inner and outer side bays have each 4 windows, alternately narrow and wide, with segmental heads and keystones to the lower floors. Attics have box dormers, 3 lights, with segmental pediments.
Intermediate square bay windows have detailing similar to the centre, with half-glazed doors and sidelights. Above, on each floor, 3-light mullioned windows, the upper with cross mullion and round arched central light. Projecting end bays have semicircular bay windows, 3 storeys, with sill bands and dentillated cornices. Plain sashes, reglazed, with glazing bar overlights.
Returns, 4 windows, have each a square cross-mullioned bay window to the ground floor, and offset to the right, a canted bay window, 2 storeys.
Rear elevation has a projecting centre with a Diocletian window in the pediment, sanitary towers with projecting centres, and canted bay windows in the side bays. East of the centre, a canted single storey addition forming the operating theatre.
Gabled corridor, 6 bays, has glazing bar cross casements, and a late C20 entrance on the west side. Chapel, to east, 4 bays, has plinth, pedimented buttresses, eaves cornice, and late C20 flat roof behind coped parapet with pedestals. To south 4, and to north 2, segment- headed cross casements with glazing bars. Unbuttressed canted east end has a central enriched datestone, 1902, and a pedestal topped with a cross. On each side, a segment arched window, Perpendicular style, formerly with stained glass.
Dining room, to west, 5 bays, has on the south side 2 square projecting bays with cross-mullioned French windows alternating with similar smaller windows. Above, a box dormer, 9 lights. West gable has 3 French windows, the central one larger, and a roundel in the gable.
Double range kitchen block has 2 gables to west, that to south with canted bay window, that to north covered by late C20 flat roofed addition. Eastern range has clerestory roof. Storage block
has late C20 alterations to the windows. Open-air ward, L-plan, has glazed verandahs on the north and south sides of the west wing, with 3 segment arched openings to the south now blocked. Cross wing has to the south a semicircular bay window with glazing bars, and to east, 2 canted bay windows. Covered way has glass roof on wooden posts.
INTERIORS: Main block has a cruciform entrance hall with chamfered segmental arches and glazed tile dado. Glazed screen to main entrance, with half-glazed double doors. Plain staircases with flank walls with similar dado. Similar detailing to spinal corridor and upper floors. Dining room has principal rafter roof with arch braces, ceiled at collar level, and a segment arched arcade on the north side. Open-air ward has half-glazed folding doors on south side of west wing.
Listing NGR: SJ5284273294
Other nearby listed buildings