This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2491 / 53°14'56"N
Longitude: -2.7137 / 2°42'49"W
OS Eastings: 352476
OS Northings: 372688
OS Grid: SJ524726
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZHW.90
Mapcode Global: WH884.9L0K
Entry Name: New Pale Lodge
Listing Date: 3 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57444
Location: Manley, Cheshire West and Chester, WA6
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Manley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Delamere St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
MANLEY C.P. NEW PALE ROAD
SJ 57 SW
3/18 New Pale Lodge
Formerly farmhouse, now house: dated 1623, 1667 and 1718 with
extensive C20 additions and alterations. Dressed tooled buff local
sandstone, Lakeland slate roof. 2 projecting gable chimneys.
T-shaped plan. 2-storey, 6-bay west front. Left end has massive
stepped projecting stack. Left 3 bays have inserted C20 iron casements
in enlarged openings. 4th bay has original bead-moulded doorcase with
lintel plaque reading P (for Whittingham and Elizabeth Pugh);
3-light chamfered stone mullioned window alongside. Right end
projects 2 bays forward on chamfered plinth and has a 4-light
chamfered mullioned and transomed window to the hall and a 3-light
mullioned fire window. Kneelered gable end has a circular light to
either side of a projecting stack. South front has central projection
but all openings are inserted. C20 extensions to rear.
Interior: former hall to right of entrance has bead-moulded stone
fireplace with slightly pointed head and a plaque on the lintel
reading 1667 (for George and Elizabeth Pugh) and some strapwork
details. Bead moulded ceiling beams. Room to rear has( reset stone
fireplace with a chamfered surround and WB (for William Boulton)
on the lintel. Room to left of entrance has enormous inglenook
fireplace with a chamfered lintel and a slot light. Chamfered and
stopped ceiling beams and chamfered joists.
The New Pale was created 'for the preservation of vert and venison' in
the early C17 and this lodge was one of only two permanent dwellings
in Delamere Forest, until the forest laws were repealed in 1812.
Listing NGR: SJ5247672688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings