This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4377 / 51°26'15"N
Longitude: -2.008 / 2°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 399541
OS Northings: 170962
OS Grid: ST995709
Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.WNT
Mapcode Global: VHB42.44T7
Plus Code: 9C3VCXQR+3R
Entry Name: Castlefield House and Attached Front Walls
Listing Date: 8 July 1976
Last Amended: 22 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455098
Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Calne
Built-Up Area: Calne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST9970 CASTLE WALK
755-1/5/20 (North side)
Castlefield House and attached front
(Formerly Listed as:
Castlefield House, Flats Nos.1-4)
House, now nursing home. c1830s. For Henry Alworth
Merriweather, 1780-1864, Town Clerk of the City of London.
Squared, coursed limestone, slate cross-gabled roof, with
lateral and axial ridge ashlar stacks. Picturesque Tudor
Revival style. Irregular plan of shallow wings projecting from
an axial range.
2 storeys and attic; 4-window range to front. Entrance front
has a crenellated porch with diagonal buttresses and a
Tudor-arched doorway, set in the angle with a gabled left-hand
wing, with kneelers, coping and finial; at the right-hand end
is an ashlar crenellated wing with diagonal buttresses.
Tudor-arched windows with label moulds, some with good
original intersecting cast-iron glazing bars with small panes
in sashes and casements, and a 4-light canted 2-storey bay to
the left-hand wing. Tall octagonal stacks with crenellated
cornices: a central pair, triple to the right, and 4 to an
axial ridge stack on the left-hand wing.
The E elevation has a similar gable to the front, and a large
conservatory with coped parapet round and gableted pinnacles
set to the side. A pair of gables with turned finials faces
the road, the right-hand one with a canted oriel, and the W
elevation has 2 further gables, with an oriel and crocket
finial in the left-hand one and a pair of stacks above blind
windows to the right. A tall parapet pierced with trefoil
openings extends round the E and S sides.
INTERIOR: altered; details include a good stone open-well
stair to the central full-height stair hall with a curtail and
inlaid star, and ramped rail; Tudor-arched doors with
quatrefoil panels; bedrooms and stair hall with shallow false
vaults; flagged cellars. Remains of a well.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble wall with crenellated
parapet, lancet windows, and a Tudor-arched doorway in an
ashlar panel extends along the S front.
A relatively early and imaginative use of the Tudor Revival
Listing NGR: ST9954170962
Other nearby listed buildings