This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9688 / 52°58'7"N
Longitude: -1.1752 / 1°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 455489
OS Northings: 341587
OS Grid: SK554415
Mapcode National: GBR LHH.MX
Mapcode Global: WHDGR.XMKX
Plus Code: 9C4WXR9F+GW
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 21 January 1987
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454790
Location: Hyson Green and Arboretum, Nottingham, NG7
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hyson Green and Forest Fields
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
BOBBERS MILL ROAD (north west side)
Church of St Stephen
(Formerly Listed as: BOBBERS MILL ROAD, St Stephen's Church)
Church.1897. By W.D Caröe, architect to the Diocese of Southwell. Red brick with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Perpendicular Revival style. Plinth, buttresses, coped gables.
PLAN: chancel, choir vestry, lantern topped with spire at junction of nave and chancel, nave with aisles and western bellcote, south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel, two bays, has ashlar parapet and coped gable. Blank east end, and on each side, two panel tracery windows, five-lights, with moulded pointed arches. Those to the west are truncated above the aisle roofs. Flat roofed choir vestry, to south east, has a four-light panel tracery window to south. Clerestory, five bays, has alternating two- and three-light panel tracery windows with flat heads. West end has a gabled projecting porch moulded pointed arched doorway with foundation stone at impost level, and ornate wooden double doors. Above, a large six-light panel tracery window set in a round-arched recess, divided by a canted brick stair turret leading to the square ashlar bellcote.
North aisle, obscured by adjoining new building, has four four-light panel tracery windows, and an off centre porch converted to a corridor. South aisle has four similar windows, and to east another window partly covered by a priest's door with moulded segment-arched opening. Both aisles have coped gables, and at the west ends, three-light panel tracery windows set in segment-arched recesses. South porch has coped gable with moulded pointed arched double doors, and above them, an empty niche.
INTERIOR: has continuous arch braced common rafter roof with wall shafts. Chancel has a segment-arched recess at the east end, with a crenellated band above. Segment-arched door to north, piscina, aumbry, sedilia and door to south. Nave has four bay arcades with moulded pointed arches dying into octagonal piers and responds. West end has double doors. Aisles have stained glass west windows, c1897. South aisle has two stained glass windows dated 1936 and 1943.
Fittings include original oak stalls. Traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit and marble font with spire cover, resited from a demolished church c1890.
Listing NGR: SK5548941587
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings