This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4055 / 53°24'19"N
Longitude: -1.4166 / 1°24'59"W
OS Eastings: 438883
OS Northings: 390012
OS Grid: SK388900
Mapcode National: GBR 9V9.W0
Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.6NPM
Plus Code: 9C5WCH4M+69
Entry Name: Carbrook Hall Public House
Listing Date: 1 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455235
Location: Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE ATTERCLIFFE COMMON
784-1/2/37 (North West side)
01/05/52 Carbrook Hall Public House
Formerly known as: No.537 Ye Old Carbrook Hall Hotel
House, now public house. c1620, with C18 and mid C20
alterations and mid C19 additions. Rendered and colourwashed,
with some squared dressed stone exposed at the rear, stone
dressings and hipped slate roof. Paired ashlar ridge stack and
truncated rendered external rear wall stack.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, moulded first floor band and
eaves. 2 storeys; 5 window range. North-east front has 2
glazing bar sashes, a central blank, and 2 C20 windows, all
with chamfered stone surrounds. Off-centre C19 gabled porch
with Tudor arched doorway, flanked to right by a 3-light stone
mullioned window and to left by a larger C19 triple sash with
stone mullions. Beyond, to left, a small late C19 door and
beyond, a blocked 3-light mullioned window. Left end has 2
stone cross mullioned windows on each floor, those above
blocked. Rear has a recessed 3 bay link between the C17 range
and the C19 and C20 additions. C17 range, to right, has 2
stone cross mullioned windows on each floor. In the centre,
three 2-light mullioned windows, and below, a C19 triple sash.
To left, projecting chimney breast with a 3-light mullioned
window, flanked to left by a C20 lean-to addition.
INTERIOR has to south a C17 panelled ground floor room with
vine trail plaster frieze and enriched cross beam ceiling,
also with vine trail. Elaborate early C17 oak chimneypiece
with Corinthian columns and allegorical figures and Latin
inscription to overmantel. The room above has framed panelling
with painted decoration and larger stone chimneypiece with
corniced mantelshelf and overmantel flanked by unusual
caryatids. Door with shaped fielded panels, and 3 late C18
HISTORICAL NOTE: Carbrook Hall was the home of the Blunt
family from 1176, and from the late C16 belonged to the Bright
family, lords of the manor of Eccleshall. John Bright was
active during the Civil War, and the building was used as a
Parliamentarian meeting place during the siege of Sheffield
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 469).
Listing NGR: SK3888390012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings