History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sheffield Bus Museum and Sheaf Transport Garage

A Grade II Listed Building in Darnall, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4079 / 53°24'28"N

Longitude: -1.4129 / 1°24'46"W

OS Eastings: 439124

OS Northings: 390282

OS Grid: SK391902

Mapcode National: GBR 9W8.P5

Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.8LFS

Entry Name: Sheffield Bus Museum and Sheaf Transport Garage

Listing Date: 13 June 1988

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270906

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456815

Location: Sheffield, S9

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brightside with Wincobank

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Templeborough

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK39SE SHEFFIELD ROAD, Tinsley
784-1/2/880 (North West side)
13/06/88 Sheffield Bus Museum and Sheaf
Transport garage
(Formerly Listed as:
SHEFFIELD ROAD, Tinsley
Tinsley Tram Depot at junction with
Weedon Street)

II

Tram depot, now bus garage, bus museum and industrial units.
1874, extended 1899, with late C20 alterations. Painted brick
with stone dressings and slate roof, with 2 ridge and single
gable stacks. Deep tram shed fronted by cross-range fronting
Sheffield Road.
EXTERIOR: plinth, shallow buttresses, eaves band, coped
gables. Double chamfered brick mullioned windows with leaded
glazing.
Taller 1874 block, to right, 2 storeys, 3 bays, has a
projecting machicolated panel with two 3-light windows. On
either side, single 4-light windows. Below the windows, a band
inscribed " Sheffield Tramways Company". Below, 3 tall pointed
arched tram openings with hoodmoulds, each with blocked
tympanum and a pair of double doors.
To left, lower 2 storey addition, 6 windows, with a central
pair of gables, each with a transomed 3-light window, flanked
by smaller 2-light and 4-light windows. Below, 4 square headed
tram openings with label moulds, the 2 to left with pairs of
framed panelled doors, the pair to right bricked up and with
C20 doors and windows. To left, a 5-light window and above it,
between floors, a 2-light window. To right, a single window
with a 2-light window above it.
INTERIOR: open to roof, has brick side walls and longitudinal
lattice girders carried on round cast-iron piers. Lattice
trussed angle iron roof with skylights. The depot housed horse
drawn trams until 1899 when the route was electrified. The
stables were demolished and the tram shed was extended to take
100 electric cars. This was the first depot in Sheffield to
accommodate electric cars, and continued in use till the end
of tramway services in 1960, this being the last city tram
route in England.


Listing NGR: SK3912490282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.