This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4135 / 53°24'48"N
Longitude: -1.4239 / 1°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 438386
OS Northings: 390902
OS Grid: SK383909
Mapcode National: GBR 9T6.94
Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.3G6G
Plus Code: 9C5WCH7G+CC
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 25 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246506
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455285
Location: Shiregreen and Brightside, Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Shiregreen and Brightside
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brightside with Wincobank
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE JENKIN ROAD
784-1/2/452 (South West side)
25/03/94 Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Dated 1934. By Flockton & Son. Coursed squared
stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables.
Perpendicular Revival style. Plinth.
PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel, crossing, nave and
clerestory, north and south aisles, baptistry, south porch,
north transept, south-east tower.
EXTERIOR: single bay chancel has a transomed single lancet on
each side, and to east a segmental pointed 3-light window with
hoodmould, flanked by narrow lancets with traceried transoms.
Clerestory has on each side, two 4-light windows in the
centre, and at each end a 2-light window flanked by single
light windows, all with flat heads. Nave west end has a
segmental pointed 3-light window with hoodmould. Below, canted
single storey baptistry with coped parapet and a 5-light
window flanked by 2-light windows, with flat heads.
Buttressed south aisle has in the centre, two 4-light windows
and to west, a 2-light window flanked by single light windows.
To east, a 2-light window and a door. North aisle has similar
fenestration. Both aisles have a 2-light window at the west
end. All the openings have flat heads.
Gabled south porch has a double chamfered doorway.
North transept has a 3-light pointed arch window flanked by
single lancets, and above, a 2-light window. To west, a
flat-roofed porch with parapet, 2-light window and door.
Square, unbuttressed south-east tower, single stage, has
plinth, sillband, string course and stepped crenellated
parapet. To east and south, a tall segmental pointed recess
with a 3-light pointed arch window, and above a traceried
transom, a triple louvred bell opening. West side has a
corresponding blank recess.
INTERIOR: crossing has a double chamfered Tudor arch on each
side, with imposts. North arch has concrete block wall
carrying organ gallery, the remaining arches are open.
Panelled wagon roof. Chancel has similar roof. To east, a
5-light window, and to north and south, single windows, with
traceried transoms. East end has late C20 wooden reredos. Lady
Chapel, under tower, has flat ceiling and wooden war memorial
reredos with painted panels, c1920. Nave has similar roof with
cross beams and collars with struts. Narrow stone wall shafts
on corbels. 4 bay arcades with double chamfered Tudor arches
and imposts. Chamfered square piers, and to west, pointed
arched doors to north and south. At the west end, a wide Tudor
arch to the baptistry and above, a resited stained glass
window. Aisles have panelled lean-to roofs. South aisle has
internal west porch with half-glazed door. To south-east, a
double door, and to east, an arched opening to the Lady
Chapel. North aisle has wooden porch to north-east, with
half-glazed double doors.
FITTINGS include octagonal stone font with late C20 cover, mid
C20 panelled octagonal pulpit and benches, and traceried
wooden lectern, desk and altar rail, 1962.
MEMORIALS include pedimented wooden war memorial with
encaustic tile panels, 1918, and war memorial board, 1945.
Listing NGR: SK3838690902
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings