This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4173 / 53°25'2"N
Longitude: -1.4342 / 1°26'3"W
OS Eastings: 437702
OS Northings: 391313
OS Grid: SK377913
Mapcode National: GBR 9R4.3S
Mapcode Global: WHDDH.YC7L
Plus Code: 9C5WCH88+W8
Entry Name: Wincobank Undenominational Chapel and Adjoining Schoolroom
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457511
Location: Firth Park, Sheffield, S5
Electoral Ward/Division: Firth Park
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brightside with Wincobank
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK39SE WINCOBANK AVENUE
784-1/2/791 (South side)
Wincobank Undenominational Chapel
and adjoining schoolroom
Undenominational chapel and adjoining schoolroom. 1841 and
c1870, with early C20 alterations. Paid for by the Rawson
family of Wincobank Hall. Coursed squared stone and ashlar
dressings, with slate roofs and truncated ridge stack.
EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables with kneelers, stone corbels to
eaves. Single storey; 5 x 4 bays. T-plan.
Chapel has coped west gable with Gothic arched single bell
turret and blocked 3-light pointed arch window with hoodmould.
South side has central porch with coped gable and kneelers and
round-arched doorway with double plank doors and hoodmould. On
either side, two 2-light stone mullioned windows with label
moulds. North side has similar fenestration.
Schoolroom, to east, has to right a porch with shouldered
coped gable and round-arched doorway with hoodmould, double
plank doors and fanlight. To its left, three 2-light stone
mullioned windows with label moulds. Left gable has a 3-light
pointed arch window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould.
At the rear, C20 door and overlight. Right gable has a 2-light
mullioned window and below, 2 single windows with a C20 window
INTERIOR has arch braced roof on corbels, with additional
diagonal braces. To south, fielded 6-panel double doors. At
the front, a round cornered dais enclosed by a wooden
balustrade, with an inserted door to the left. On the dais,
fielded panelled choir stalls and clergy desk, C19, and organ
Schoolroom has similar roof and inserted floor.
FITTINGS include C19 benches. Memorials include marble
tablets, 1883 and 1887, to members of the Rawson family.
James Montgomery, the Sheffield hymnologist, was associated
with this chapel, and composed a hymn for the opening
Listing NGR: SK3770291313
Other nearby listed buildings