This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3398 / 53°20'23"N
Longitude: -1.4861 / 1°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 434317
OS Northings: 382672
OS Grid: SK343826
Mapcode National: GBR LY2T.2G
Mapcode Global: WHDDW.49MY
Plus Code: 9C5W8GQ7+WH
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455352
Location: Sheffield, S8
Electoral Ward/Division: Graves Park
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Woodseats St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38SW LINDEN AVENUE
784-1/9/481 (South East side)
Church of St Chad
Parish church. 1912, chancel 1933, north-west porch and vestry
c1960. By C & CM Hadfield. Coursed squared stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Plinth and
PLAN: chancel, vestries, nave with clerestory and aisles, west
porch, organ chamber and porch, north-west porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel east end has a shallow gabled shouldered
projection with square buttresses, and a moulded round-arched
recess containing a traceried round window with a panel below
it. Below the window, a transverse corridor with 4 unequally
spaced single light windows, linking small flat-roofed
vestries, that to south with a single light window in the
return angle. Chancel has on either side a tall flat-headed
double lancet with tracery. North side has a square external
Nave, 3 bays, has on either side 3 pairs of flat-headed
2-light clerestory windows. West gable has cross and gabled
angle buttresses topped with crocketed pinnacles. 2 traceried
flat-headed double lancets with traceried panels below and
enriched band above. In the gable peak, a moulded square
traceried panel. Shallow west porch has steep pitched gable
flanked by buttresses with cross gabled pinnacles. Moulded
pointed arched doorway. On either side, a segment-arched
Triple gabled south aisle has 3 large pointed arched windows
with a central mullion containing a niche with tracery above
it, flanked by double pointed arch lights with intersecting
tracery. 3 bay north aisle has string course, sillband and
moulded coped parapet, stepped above each bay. At the
north-east corner, a gabled buttress. To east, 2 windows
similar to the south aisle. To west, gabled porch with cross,
and 2 narrow single lancets to north. Single light flat-headed
window to west, cove moulded flat-headed double door to east.
Each aisle has at the west end an angle buttress, billeted
eaves, coped parapet, and flat-headed traceried 4-light
Flat roofed organ chamber and choir vestry, in the south
transept position, has dentilled eaves and to south, 3 tall
round-headed lights. In the return angle, to east, a
flat-roofed square porch with door to south and 3-light
mullioned window to east.
In the position of the unbuilt north transept, a pointed
arched opening with hoodmould and mid C20 glazing. To
north-east, a mid C20 flat-roofed porch and vestry with
central north door and overlight, flanked by 3 windows, those
to west larger.
INTERIOR: chancel has double coved arch with octagonal
responds, and faience tiled screen wall with chamfered coping.
Segment arched boarded roof with moulded ribs, arch braces and
deep soffits. East end has projecting square reredos panel and
above, a segment-arched recess with traceried round window.
North side has a double chamfered pointed arched opening with
mid C20 glazed screen, and to east, a doorway. South side has
to east a flat-headed chamfered sedilia under the window, and
to west, a pointed arched recess containing the organ.
Nave has 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches and round
piers without capitals. Segment arched boarded roof with wall
shafts on corbels, tie beams and king posts. Paired clerestory
Aisles have 3-bay transverse arch braced roofs with arch
braces, wall shafts and corbels. West ends have segment-arched
opening with 4-light traceried window. South aisle has 3
windows, the east one with stained glass dated 1919, the
central one with stained glass dated 1916. East end has
segmental pointed double chamfered opening with traceried
panelled wooden screen and double door.
North aisle has to west a chamfered segment-arched doorway,
and to east, 2 windows, the east one with stained glass dated
1945. East end has a blocked arch similar to that in the south
FITTINGS include square ashlar font with inscribed bowl and
lobed base with 4 corner shafts. Cast metal lectern in the
form of an angel on octagonal pedestal, with steps and brass
handrail, dated 1917. Panelled traceried octagonal wooden
pulpit on ashlar base. Panelled openwork stalls and desks with
shaped ends, c1933.
Memorials include repousse copper plaque, 1919.
Listing NGR: SK3431782672
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings