History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pair of Chapels at Tinsley Park Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Darnall, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3933 / 53°23'35"N

Longitude: -1.4075 / 1°24'26"W

OS Eastings: 439500

OS Northings: 388658

OS Grid: SK395886

Mapcode National: GBR 9XF.VD

Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.CZ00

Entry Name: Pair of Chapels at Tinsley Park Cemetery

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455367

Location: Sheffield, S9

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Templeborough

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE BARLEYWOOD ROAD
784-1/6/61 Pair of Chapels at Tinsley Park
28/06/73 Cemetery
(Formerly Listed as:
BARLEYWOOD ROAD
Pair of chapels and connecting
gateway at Tinsley Park Cemetery)

GV II

Cemetery chapels, one now used as a store. Dated 1880. By
Holmes & Johnson. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and
steep pitched slate roofs with 2 shouldered coped side wall
stacks. Gothic Revival style. Symmetrical layout with central
entrance bay flanked by chapels with side porches.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth and eaves, buttresses, coped
parapets and gables with crosses. Western entrance has a
moulded central arch and smaller flanking arches with round
piers and hoodmoulds. Above, shouldered gable with clock. On
either side, a thin buttressed bell tower with octagonal bell
stage topped with an octagonal spire. To left, dated
foundation stone. Chapel west ends have angle buttresses and
3-light pointed arched windows with Geometrical tracery and
hoodmoulds. The east end has the same design without the bell
towers. The chapels' outer sides have 4 quatrefoil windows and
to east, single gabled porches with single lancets in the
gables, with hoodmoulds. On the east sides, a chamfered cusped
flat-headed doorway. Entrance bay interior has a 3 bay wooden
arcade with turned posts and roll moulded segmental pointed
arches. Strutted common rafter roof. On either side, 2
chamfered doorways with hoodmoulds and double doors.
INTERIOR: rendered chapel interior has string course and arch
braced principal rafter roof with traceried spandrels and
corbels. 2 double doors with depressed segmental heads and
moulded flat canopies with single shafts. On the other side, a
doorway with hoodmould into the porch.
The partnership of Holmes & Johnson existed from 1869-1887,
though SF Holmes died in 1882.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).


Listing NGR: SK3950088658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK38NE BARLEYWOOD ROAD
784-1/6/61 Pair of Chapels at Tinsley Park
28/06/73 Cemetery
(Formerly Listed as:
BARLEYWOOD ROAD
Pair of chapels and connecting
gateway at Tinsley Park Cemetery)

GV II

Cemetery chapels, one now used as a store. Dated 1880. By
Holmes & Johnson. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and
steep pitched slate roofs with 2 shouldered coped side wall
stacks. Gothic Revival style. Symmetrical layout with central
entrance bay flanked by chapels with side porches.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth and eaves, buttresses, coped
parapets and gables with crosses. Western entrance has a
moulded central arch and smaller flanking arches with round
piers and hoodmoulds. Above, shouldered gable with clock. On
either side, a thin buttressed bell tower with octagonal bell
stage topped with an octagonal spire. To left, dated
foundation stone. Chapel west ends have angle buttresses and
3-light pointed arched windows with Geometrical tracery and
hoodmoulds. The east end has the same design without the bell
towers. The chapels' outer sides have 4 quatrefoil windows and
to east, single gabled porches with single lancets in the
gables, with hoodmoulds. On the east sides, a chamfered cusped
flat-headed doorway. Entrance bay interior has a 3 bay wooden
arcade with turned posts and roll moulded segmental pointed
arches. Strutted common rafter roof. On either side, 2
chamfered doorways with hoodmoulds and double doors.
INTERIOR: rendered chapel interior has string course and arch
braced principal rafter roof with traceried spandrels and
corbels. 2 double doors with depressed segmental heads and
moulded flat canopies with single shafts. On the other side, a
doorway with hoodmould into the porch.
The partnership of Holmes & Johnson existed from 1869-1887,
though SF Holmes died in 1882.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).


Listing NGR: SK3950088658

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.