This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9483 / 52°56'54"N
Longitude: -1.1528 / 1°9'10"W
OS Eastings: 457022
OS Northings: 339331
OS Grid: SK570393
Mapcode National: GBR LNR.J7
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.8592
Plus Code: 9C4WWRXW+8V
Entry Name: Newcastle House and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 1 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454896
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739SW CASTLE BOULEVARD
646-1/23/92 (South side)
01/11/85 Newcastle House and attached
Formerly known as: Vyella House CASTLE BOULEVARD.
Factory and offices, now offices. 1931-33. By FA Broadhead for
William Hollins & Co, manufacturers of Vyella fabric.
Structural engineering by the Indented Bar and Concrete
Engineering Co. Ltd., of Westminster. Clock added c1960.
Converted and altered, with renewed cladding, c1985.
Rectangular plan on a 16ft x 20ft grid. Art Deco style.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys plus basement. Reinforced concrete
structure with steel frame curtain walling, reconstituted
stone cladding, and flat roof behind parapet. Concrete floor
and roof slabs carried on round mushroom columns. The
cantilevered outer slabs support continuous curtain walling on
continuous concrete spandrels.
Entrance front has a central feature of 10 narrow bays defined
by slender vertical stone fins rising from the ground floor to
the top of the second floor. In the centre, a massive stone
frame, 2 storeys, enclosing the main doorway. Moulded doorcase
and cornice, with panelled folding doors and surround. Narrow
side lights, and above the door, 4 narrow lights with window
guards. Above again, a square bracket clock. Outside, double
lateral steps to the door landing, flanked by basement
entrances and linked to the boundary wall. This extends across
the front, approx 60m, and has a flat coping.
INTERIOR has mainly original boardroom with full height
veneered wooden panelling, coved floor and ceiling, and
wood-cased mushroom columns. Veneered panelled doors and
etched glass sliding windows, with Vyella trademarks.
Adjoining meeting room has a simpler decorative scheme with
similar windows. Concrete winder stairs with chromed tube
A notable early use of concrete and mushroom columns in
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5702239331
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings