History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Retaining Wall and Gateway South of St Levans Church

A Grade II Listed Building in St Austell Bay, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3215 / 50°19'17"N

Longitude: -4.7702 / 4°46'12"W

OS Eastings: 202901

OS Northings: 50516

OS Grid: SX029505

Mapcode National: GBR N0.Y4J2

Mapcode Global: FRA 08W5.ZC7

Entry Name: Churchyard Retaining Wall and Gateway South of St Levans Church

Listing Date: 29 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246628

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487051

Location: St. Austell Bay, Cornwall, PL26

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St Austell Bay

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Austell

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Charlestown

Listing Text

ST AUSTELL

SX05SW HIGHER PORTHPEAN
868/9/10158 Churchyard retaining wall and gateways
29-JAN-01 south of Church of St Levan

GV II

Churchyard wall and gateway. 1884-5; by J. Reeves. Coursed stone wall with ashlar gate-piers. Retaining wall for churchyard and church built high above road on south side. Sloping site with arch from road to steps up to vestry above. At west end , where road is level with churchyard, there is a gateway with ashlar piers with large pyramidal caps, and a wrought-iron overthrow and lamp added in circa 1897. Late C20 wooden gate.
SOURCE: Woodhouse, H. Porthpean Church and Village [1999], p.12.


Listing NGR: SX0290150516

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

ST AUSTELL

SX05SW HIGHER PORTHPEAN
868/9/10158 Churchyard retaining wall and gateways
29-JAN-01 south of Church of St Levan

GV II

Churchyard wall and gateway. 1884-5; by J. Reeves. Coursed stone wall with ashlar gate-piers. Retaining wall for churchyard and church built high above road on south side. Sloping site with arch from road to steps up to vestry above. At west end , where road is level with churchyard, there is a gateway with ashlar piers with large pyramidal caps, and a wrought-iron overthrow and lamp added in circa 1897. Late C20 wooden gate.
SOURCE: Woodhouse, H. Porthpean Church and Village [1999], p.12.


Listing NGR: SX0290150516

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.