This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9512 / 52°57'4"N
Longitude: -1.15 / 1°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 457204
OS Northings: 339648
OS Grid: SK572396
Mapcode National: GBR LPQ.47
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.92MW
Plus Code: 9C4WXR2X+FX
Entry Name: 19, Castle Gate
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454903
Location: Castle, Nottingham, NG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NW CASTLE GATE
646-1/20/98 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Earl Howe's House)
Town house, now offices. 1775. For William Stanford. Converted
to offices 1928. Red brick and ashlar with ashlar dressings.
Roof not visible behind panelled coped parapet.
EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, frieze and modillion cornice. First
floor pseudo-parapet with balustrades under the windows.
Symmetrical front with slightly projecting central bay. 3
storeys; 5 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes, those
to the front with panelled splayed lintels and double
keystones. Central tripartite window with Ionic pilasters and
elaborate fanlight, flanked by two 12-pane sashes. Above, four
9-pane sashes. Elaborate tripartite doorway with double
columns, enriched frieze and pediment. Double door and
fanlight. On each side, 2 windows.
Rear elevation, ashlar, has plinth, bands to each floor,
cornice and blocking course. Central half-round bay window, 3
storeys; 5 window range. Windows are glazing bar sashes with
moulded architraves. Central first floor window has
pseudo-balustrade and volutes. On each side, two 12-pane
sashes, and above, two 6-pane sashes. Central round-arched
doorway converted to a window, flanked by two 12-pane sashes.
Right return has almost symmetrical fenestration with a
central pedimented wooden doorcase, fielded 6-panel door and
INTERIOR: has largely original decoration and joinery.
Cantilevered wooden dogleg stair with stick balusters and
ramped handrail in stair well with modillion cornice and round
arch to landing. Open well service stair with stick balusters.
Ground floor has a central hallway with frieze and cornice,
and span beam on fluted Egyptian columns. Room to left has
enriched frieze and cornice, ornate doorcases, and inlaid
marble fireplace with portraits and figure panel. Right room
has similar decoration and wooden fireplace. Drawing room at
rear has a painted ashlar fireplace. First floor rooms have
simpler decoration in the same style, and several fireplaces.
Attics have king post truss roofs with matchboard lining.
Cellars have C19 brick lining.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 234-235; House history pamphlet compiled by owners).
Listing NGR: SK5720439648
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings