History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleaves Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9516 / 52°57'5"N

Longitude: -1.1497 / 1°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 457228

OS Northings: 339693

OS Grid: SK572396

Mapcode National: GBR LPQ.62

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.92SL

Entry Name: Cleaves Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271437

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454900

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NW CASTLE GATE
646-1/20/95 (North side)
No.6
Cleaves Hall

GV II

Lecture hall, now residential accommodation. Dated 1883. By
Parry & Walker of Nottingham for Castle Gate Congregational
Church (qv). Altered c1980. Red brick, with blue brick and
ashlar dressings and slate roof. Lombardic-Venetian Revival
style.
Plinth, dentillated cornices to each floor, richly bracketed
eaves cornice. Windows are original plain sashes,
segment-headed. Central ground floor windows have cast-iron
guards.
3 storey front, 3 bays, with angle pilasters. Projecting
centre, 3 windows, under an enriched pediment with finials and
iron crests, flanked by side bays. To right, a wider entrance
bay under a plain pediment. In the centre, 3 windows on each
floor with enriched keystones and linked hood moulds. First
and second floor windows, 2 lights, with ashlar mullions.
Left side bay has a segment-arched double door with shafts.
Above, a tripartite window and above again, a pair of
shouldered windows. Right side bay has a single window on the
lower floors, and a pair of shouldered windows above. Entrance
bay has a rebated round-arched doorway with shafts and
enriched spandrels, panelled double door and fanlight. Above,
a triple window with brick mullions, and above again, a pair
of shouldered windows.
Right return has 4 windows on each floor. Rear range, 2
storeys, in white glazed brick.


Listing NGR: SK5722839693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.