This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.481 / 53°28'51"N
Longitude: -2.2347 / 2°14'4"W
OS Eastings: 384523
OS Northings: 398277
OS Grid: SJ845982
Mapcode National: GBR DLH.T4
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.NR2S
Entry Name: Clayton House, 59, Piccadilly and 61 Piccadilly
Listing Date: 6 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455659
Location: Manchester, M1
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2019
PICCADILLY (north side)
No.59 Clayton House, and 61
Restaurant, warehousing and offices. Dated 1907 at top floor; by W and G Higginbottom. Portland stone facade with brown terracotta ground floor, slate roof. Long narrow rectangular plan at right-angles to street. Jacobean Baroque style.
Six storeys and three bays, symmetrical; small cornice to ground floor, panels over outer fourth-floor windows lettered "CLAYTON" "HOUSE", prominent cornice over fourth floor with mutules and egg-and-dart enrichment, dentilled cornice over fifth floor broken in the centre by a Baroque-style broken-pedimented upstand lettered "AD MCMVII". The ground floor has doorways to left and right, both with pedimented surrounds and that to left with frieze lettered "CLAYTON HOUSE", and C20 shop window between; the upper floors have mullion-and-transom windows, mostly six lights, including a canted oriel tiered from second to fourth floors, those in the outer bays at second floor with triangular pediments, that at third floor of the oriel with a segmental pediment enclosing a lion-mask cartouche, and all these with ornamental wrought-iron balconies. Tall corniced chimneys at the gables.
The architects are Walter Higginbottom (1850-1924) and George Harry Higginbottom (1852 - ). These are not to be confused with William Herbert Higginbottom (1868–1929), who was born in Leeds but moved to and practised in Arnold, Nottingham.
Forms group with No.47, No.49, Nos 51 and 53, and Nos 55 and 57 to left (q.v.), and with gabled return of Nos 1 to 11 Newton Street to right (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ8452398277
Other nearby listed buildings